PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to run a command from context menu in terminal?

frytek
February 20th, 2012, 02:10 AM
I would like to convert, say, flv files to mp3 by right-clicking on them.
It is quite simple to configure nautilus-action (or actually thunar-action, because I use Xubuntu) - but the command runs in background. I can watch the mp3 file appear and grow, but in fact I don't know if the processing is finished.
I would like to see a(ny) terminal window pop-up with the running command.

I was trying to find it in google but all I can find is only "how to add 'open terminal here' to context menu", so maybe somebody here can tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
February 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
With gnome-terminal I think it would work to make the command "gnome-terminal -e whatever-command-u-use-to-convert symbol-for-target-file" without the " marks and substituting the command you use & whatever thunar actions call the selected file. If you don't use gnome-terminal you might try it anyway. And if it doesn't work in whatever terminal you use you could try "command-to-invoke-the-terminal-of-your-choice --help" or even "man terminal-invocation-command" to see if it has a similar switch.

I'm no expert but this pattern works for me in a similar situation.

frytek
February 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Well, in general, it works. I mean, it pops up a terminal with a script in it. But it doesn't pass the filename to the script.

Normally the script would be called "script file"
So as action I defined gnome-terminal -e /path/to/script %f
But the script in the terminal claims there's no file to work on...

I worked it around by adding gnome-terminal -e to the script itself, which works nice, although I guess it's not exactly how it should be done. :)
Thanks,

LewisTM
February 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
If you want to run a program in a terminal with multiple parameters you have to use quotes e.g.

xfce4-terminal -e "yourscript %f"
or the terminal will think you have more than one parameter for it.

One more tip (you may already know this): if you want the terminal to wait for a key press at the end of a script, so you don't lose the output, add this command before exiting

read -p END-OF-SCRIPT
You can replace the end-of-script with "Press any key to continue..." etc.

Cheers!

frytek
February 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you, it worked.I would never think that using quotes would pass %f as an argument. ;)

LewisTM
February 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
NP
It seems that Thunar just searches for %f and replaces it with the given filename.
Please mark as Solved.