PDA

View Full Version : This could be trouble for most Linux Distro's

Slapdash
March 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

Buffalo Soldier
March 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe it's time someone starts a FOSH - Free / Open Source Hardware.

Slapdash
March 11th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, good idea.
Obviously Big Wigs are getting scared of Open Source.

jdodson
March 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM
trusted computing has attempted to gain ground for MANY years. the earliest i heard of anything was with microsofts palladium. no one really liked that idea, so they changed it to trusted computing or some other buzzword of the day. i think trusted computing is a lame idea that will eventually fail. microsoft and other corporations have pushed this for many years and it has not taken off at all. microsoft was promising that intel would incorporate this into new computer chips, but 6 years later there is no proto type. lots of ideas, no actual implelemtation. no implementation for one reason, no one wants to buy it.

morethannoise
March 11th, 2005, 10:54 PM
trusted computing has attempted to gain ground for MANY years. the earliest i heard of anything was with microsofts palladium. no one really liked that idea, so they changed it to trusted computing or some other buzzword of the day. i think trusted computing is a lame idea that will eventually fail. microsoft and other corporations have pushed this for many years and it has not taken off at all. microsoft was promising that intel would incorporate this into new computer chips, but 6 years later there is no proto type. lots of ideas, no actual implelemtation. no implementation for one reason, no one wants to buy it.

I hope your assessment is correct as there are a lot of heavy hitters and lots of money behind this, yet another attack on our freedoms. With the way digital rights management has gotten out of hand, I have my doubts.

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Just as Aldous Huxlex predicted. Well sorta.

jdodson
March 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I hope your assessment is correct as there are a lot of heavy hitters and lots of money behind this, yet another attack on our freedoms. With the way digital rights management has gotten out of hand, I have my doubts.

well i guess there is a chance it could catch on, but i still doubt it. microsoft has tried this before, i know they won't stop but it just seems like another idea that is going to take a dive. i thought the last time they tried it they were going to succeed. well they did not and all the hype was just that.

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Why is it IBM the same company that loves Linux and wants to promote open source to crush Micro$oft is the same company that has supported software patents and this thing posted above?

angrylittleman
March 12th, 2005, 05:48 AM
There are patents for lliterally everything. I think MS owns own for using the tab key to select options (think text based install) The patents themselves are not inherentily bad, it is what companies do with patents that can limit software development. Would MS ever push their "tab as a select cursor"? They might if it could be used to their advantage. Like money, stock, assests, and anything else in a for-profit business, it is about the bottom line and returning investments.

gylf
March 12th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Some could think that it should be possible to get around this security. But probably they would be proved they're wrong.

This reminds me of SunnComm's MediaMax CD3. It was supposed to be the latest greatest digital anti-piracy device. All you had to do was hold down the shift key (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/08/shift_key_breaks_latest_cd/) to bypass the protection.

Assuming this did happen, I'd give it about 2 weeks before instructions hit the internet detailing how to remove, neutralize, and/or bypass the chip.

I'm also reminded of the star wars quote: "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."