PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any groups or topics on the internet one can join?

nec207
February 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I know there is yahoo groups ,google groups and MSN groups but they are so dead now and full spam and bots.

Yahoo had this topic thing going like where you can join a topic but I do not think it has gone out of beta.

Yahoo answers is good to get questions answered but the quality of answers is really bad .So I do not want to use it.

3rdalbum
February 19th, 2012, 08:32 AM
There are newsgroups (Usenet).

nec207
February 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM
There are newsgroups (Usenet).

What are those ? I thought that was in the 90's.Very crude and old school that no one uses now.

oldos2er
February 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM
The comp.os.linux.* newsgroups, among many others, are fairly active if that's what you're interested in.

As for crude, because many of the CLI newsreader programs e.g. slrn, nn, etc. have been around for so long, they are highly developed and able to do things that make web forums appear clunky and crude by comparison. Just my opinion. :)

nec207
February 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
The comp.os.linux.* newsgroups, among many others, are fairly active if that's what you're interested in.

As for crude, because many of the CLI newsreader programs e.g. slrn, nn, etc. have been around for so long, they are highly developed and able to do things that make web forums appear clunky and crude by comparison. Just my opinion. :)

Where are the links to these newsgroups that you keep talking about and are they still active? In 90's it was very popular.

Also what happen to yahoo groups and google groups . They so dead now and full spam and spam bots .

haqking
February 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
What are those ? I thought that was in the 90's.Very crude and old school that no one uses now.

google groups is usenet/newsgroups.

there are hundreds of ways to access the newsgroups/usenet

just google usenet or newsgroups, choose a server and preferred reader and off you go

you can use your email client for reading newsgroups such as thunderbird or evolution or whatever, if in windows then outlook etc.

Connect to a NNTP server (if you cant find one i expect your ISP hosts one) giving you access to thousands and thousands of newsgroup/usenet archives

nec207
February 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
google groups is usenet/newsgroups.

there are hundreds of ways to access the newsgroups/usenet

just google usenet or newsgroups, choose a server and preferred reader and off you go

you can use your email client for reading newsgroups such as thunderbird or evolution or whatever, if in windows then outlook etc.

Connect to a NNTP server (if you cant find one i expect your ISP hosts one) giving you access to thousands and thousands of newsgroup/usenet archives

What do you mean hundreds of newsgroups/usenet? Is there not only a handful of domains out there that host groups or newsgroup like MSN ,yahoo and google.

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 12:10 AM
What do you mean hundreds of newsgroups/usenet? Is there not only a handful of domains out there that host groups or newsgroup like MSN ,yahoo and google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

an example would be google groups.

It is 100's of millions postings collected from usenet over 20+ years.

Thousands are still active and you can view them in many ways.

I expect whoever your ISP is has a NNTP server you can connect to.

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 01:31 AM

an example would be google groups.

It is 100's of millions postings collected from usenet over 20+ years.

Thousands are still active and you can view them in many ways.

I expect whoever your ISP is has a NNTP server you can connect to.

I think what you are trying to say is there are hundreds of newsgroups/usenet and groups but only handful of domains that host it.

Yahoo groups have hundreds of groups but the dilemma is it is dead now and full of spam .The yahoo groups ,MSN groups and google groups peaked in 2005 than started to die of with facebook ,myspace and twitter.

But facebook ,myspace and twitter will not help me with what I'm after.

alphacrucis2
February 21st, 2012, 02:26 AM
In this country most ISP's ditched their nntp servers so we have to use either a pay for service like giganews or find a free open server. The later usually suck in terms of performance and post completion. The pan newsreader was much better than using a web interface like google groups which is text groups only in any case.

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 02:42 AM
In this country most ISP's ditched their nntp servers so we have to use either a pay for service like giganews or find a free open server. The later usually suck in terms of performance and post completion. The pan newsreader was much better than using a web interface like google groups which is text groups only in any case.

The thing is I need group or usenet where I can ask questions and talk to people of the same interest.

A group is better than some thing like yahoo answers ,answers.com or ask.com do to better quality of the answers .Many times questions do not even get a answer or proper answer on yahoo answers ,answers.com or ask.com

And yahoo answers ,answers.com or ask.com are the 3 out there so I think I'm kinda in bad spot.

Really I love yahoo groups and yahoo answers but it not same like before so I'm looking for a replacement.

larrypg
February 21st, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hello,

Have you thought about irc? Might not be as active as it used to be in the past but there are still many channels with maybe some interests that match your own.

oldos2er
February 21st, 2012, 03:10 AM
The thing is I need group or usenet where I can ask questions and talk to people of the same interest.

Check your ISP, some of them do still offer NNTP (Usenet) access.

I use a service called individual.net, which costs roughly US$14 per year.
http://www.individual.net/

There are tens of thousands of newsgroups, so I'm sure you'll find something that interests you.

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Check your ISP, some of them do still offer NNTP (Usenet) access.

I use a service called individual.net, which costs roughly US$14 per year.
http://www.individual.net/

There are tens of thousands of newsgroups, so I'm sure you'll find something that interests you.

There may be thousands of them but problem is finding the web site that host them.

alphacrucis2
February 21st, 2012, 04:40 AM
There may be thousands of them but problem is finding the web site that host them.

You don't need a web site for usenet. Use a native usenet reader like pan. It's in the ubuntu repos. The individual.net nntp server pointed out by another user sounds like a good deal. If you want web forums there are plenty of those around. I understand even Ubuntu host various forums on topics concerning Ubuntu :P. Depends what your interests are I guess.

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 05:26 AM
You don't need a web site for usenet. Use a native usenet reader like pan. It's in the ubuntu repos. The individual.net nntp server pointed out by another user sounds like a good deal. If you want web forums there are plenty of those around. I understand even Ubuntu host various forums on topics concerning Ubuntu :P. Depends what your interests are I guess.

Than who host the usenet , if you do not need to go to web site?

I have some interest like biology ,medicine ,physics ,psychology ,sociology,music and movies so on.

Than say I what to find group or usenet on physics or music say rock you need web site that host groups or usenet and type in search box your interest to join.

Back in the older days when yahoo groups was better you would go to yahoo groups and than type in the search box your interest that say type of movie or biology and you would join the group.

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
the links provided already explain all your questions.

Usenet is the name of the news network which has been around since 1980.

No website hosts it.

NNTP servers are distributed like DNS servers.

Connect to one and read and post. Thats it.

There are close to a billion posts archived from over the years out there, and people still use them.

Connect to one and answer all your questions

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM
I check the wikipedia you posted and if I understand it and the post here :(I think the confused here is it is not like groups where find web site that host groups.But sorta like torrent you need client and is peer to peer not hoting site .

The NNTP must be client protocol you use to use to search or communicate withe other NNTP clients.

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM
I check the wikipedia you posted and if I understand it and the post here :(I think the confused here is it is not like groups where find web site that host groups.But sorta like torrent you need client and is peer to peer not hoting site .

The NNTP must be client protocol you use to use to search or communicate withe other NNTP clients.

[/URL]

it is nothing like torrent.

NNTP is the protocol, use a newsreader of your choice to connect to a Newsgroup/Usenet server and read the posts and thats it.

google groups is Usenet/newsgroups it is just googles way of accessing them.

if you want to use Usenet/newgroups then just use google groups to do it if you cant wrap your head around using a reader to connect to a NNTP server.

or just try these
http://www.giganews.com/ (http://wikipedia)
[url]http://www.usenet.net/
http://www.astraweb.com/

there are loads of ways to access them.

As i already said ask your ISP, they probably host a NNTP server you can connect your reader too

Cheers

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
who host the usenet , if you do not need to go to web site?

I have some interest like biology ,medicine ,physics ,psychology ,sociology,music and movies so on.

Than say I what to find group or usenet on physics or music say rock you need web site that host groups or usenet and type in search box your interest to join.

Usenet is the name of the news network which has been around since 1980.

No website hosts it.

it is nothing like torrent.

This is what I'm confused about.

No web site host torrent.

It is peer to peer. Look at this way torrent is not file sharing site like megaupload but peer to peer.

mips
February 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/175/315/PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/social-networking/information/newsgroup.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
This is what I'm confused about.

No web site host torrent.

It is peer to peer. Look at this way torrent is not file sharing site like megaupload but peer to peer.

i know what torrent and peer to peer is.

Torrents and peer to peer file sharing is nothing to do with this.

You asked was there something like google groups and stuff.

We said yes, Google Groups is Usenet/newsgroups.

If you dont want to use Google groups you can connect to a dedicated NNTP news server with many different readers, you choose.

As already mentioned your ISP probably hosts one so connect your reader (thunderbird,evolution or similar to it)

and then browse and read and post, subscribe etc etc.

Plenty of links above to explain a very simple concept already explained many times.

Cheers

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
i know what torrent and peer to peer is.

Torrents and peer to peer file sharing is nothing to do with this.

Right but you said web sites do not host Usenet/newsgroups.When I was asking for web site that host Usenet/newsgroups.

Just like web sites do not host Torrents and peer to peer .

You asked was there something like google groups and stuff.

Google groups is a group /usenet hybrid hosted by google.

We said yes, Google Groups is Usenet/newsgroups.

Yes but you also said when I was looking for web site that host Usenet/newsgroups that web sites do not host Usenet/newsgroups.

If you dont want to use Google groups you can connect to a dedicated NNTP news server with many different readers, you choose.

A server is host that host some kinda of service and thus needs a web site ( URL ) or IP address .You said above that web sites do NOT host Usenet/newsgroups .

As already mentioned your ISP probably hosts one so connect your reader (thunderbird,evolution or similar to it)

Okay I really do not understand this . What profit is for ISP to have Usenet/newsgroups ?

and then browse and read and post, subscribe etc etc.

Understand that but where do you find the Usenet/newsgroups if web sites do not host it?

The links are saying same thing here .I will post back with Wikipedia with quotes soon to show you want I mean.

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Users read and post messages (called articles or posts, and collectively termed news) to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system (BBS) in many respects, and is the precursor to the various Internet forums that are widely used today.

Does not help me find it.

Usenet can be superficially regarded as a hybrid between email and web forums. Discussions are threaded, with modern news reader software, as with web forums and BBSes, though posts are stored on the server sequentially.

But you said web sites do not host it? With out a IP address or URL how do you find the Usenet or the way you called it server that needs IP address.And would be a host.

One notable difference between a BBS or web forum and Usenet is the absence of a central server and dedicated administrator.

This how peer to pee works.

Usenet is distributed among a large, constantly changing conglomeration of servers that store and forward messages to one another in so-called news feeds. Individual users may read messages from and post messages to a local server operated by their Internet service provider, university, or employer.

But now saying it has server ( host ) thus some onw must host it? And we all know peer to peer does not use server.

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
There isnt any website anywhere that hosts anything.

A server hosts a website.

I dont get what the issue is here, what do you want to do ?

Use Usenet/Newsgroups ?

OK fine as said a few times if you want to use them then use a Newsreader to connect to a NNTP server of your choice.

or just se Google groups if you want.

If it is that you dont understand how it works, i cant really explain anymore than i have, others have and the links posted have already.

So unless you have a clear question that needs an answer i cant offer anything more than already have

Example of how to access them with a reader such as thunderbird

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/guides/thunderbird-usenetserver.html

Cheers

nec207
February 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
There seems to be some communication problem here , you not understanding my questions and your replies are not answering my question .Every time I try to rephrase my questions I keep getting the same reply back and still not answering my questions .

I will try to rephrase my questions one last time , than I will hope that may be some other members here can understand my questions .

When you want to find a message board you use google search on the interest you have .

Now when comes to groups you find a web site that host it like yahoo groups , google groups or MSN groups so on.

Now the confusion I think here is the confusion of understanding groups and usenets is what is confusing me . To find a groups you need find some one that host it like yahoo groups , google groups or MSN groups .

But when I said where are the web sites that host usenets .You said no one host it there is no web site.But than you go on and on here about you need to connect to server or ISP that has usenets. This is where I'm confused. How do you find the server or ISP if there is no web site to get people to find them?

And how do you know the IP address of server or usenet if there is no web site ?And how do you know what ISP have this or not.

I got the part about you need some kind of reader to read it and post to it but that is about all.

haqking
February 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
There seems to be some communication problem here , you not understanding my questions and your replies are not answering my question .Every time I try to rephrase my questions I keep getting same reply back and still not answering my question .

I will try to rephrase my questions one last time than I will hope that may be some other members here can understand my questions .

When you want to find message board you use google search on the interest you have .Many web sites have message boards.

Now when comes to groups you find a web site that host it like yahoo groups , google groups or MSN groups so on.

Now the confusion I think here is the confusion of understanding groups and usenets is what is confusing me . To find a groups you need find some one that host it like yahoo groups , google groups or MSN groups .

But when I said where are the web sites that host usenets .You said no one host it there is no web site.But than you go on and on here about you need to connect to server or ISP that has usenets. This is where I'm confused. How do you find the server or ISP if there is no web site to get people to find them?

And how do you know the IP address of server or usenet if there is no web site ?And how do you know what ISP have this or not.

I got the part about you need some kind of reader to read it and post to it but that is about all.

yahoo groups is its own thing.

Google groups is as already stated using Usenet/Newsgroups

Google Groups is a service from Google Inc. that supports discussion groups, including many Usenet newsgroups, based on common interests. The service was started in 1995 as Deja News, and was transitioned to Google Groups after a February 2001 buyout.
Membership in Google Groups is free of charge and many groups are anonymous. Users can find discussion groups related to their interests and participate in threaded conversations, either through a web interface or by e-mail. They can also start new groups.[2] Google Groups also includes an archive of Usenet newsgroup postings dating back to 1981[3] and supports reading and posting to Usenet groups.[4] Users can also set up mailing list archives for e-mail lists that are hosted elsewhere.[5]

If you want to use a usenet/NNTP server to connect to then use one of the many links already posted or do you want me to post them again.

instruction on how to setup a reader have been posted.

Mulitple links to Usenet servers/services have been posted.

If you want a free one then google some more for one or as said alot of ISP's host them.

For example my ISP in the UK is BT (british telecom)

so i can setup my reader of choice to point to news.btinernet.com using port 119

or as said use a dedicated usenet service from one of the many links already posted in this thread

as for how do you know if your ISP has one or not, well here in the UK we have telephones and email to communicate with such entities to ask them ;-) or google for your ISP newsgroup server or look in your ISP initial account information to see if there was a NNTP server address just like your email one

alphacrucis2
February 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
usenet existed before there were web servers. It uses a protocol similar to email called nntp. usenet servers store the posted messages but they also update each other so that a user can post to any usenet server and it will get propagated to all the other usenet servers (in practice some servers are more reliable at this than others). Usenet servers didn't have unlimited capacity so after a period of time (depending on the server) messages would get erased. To get around this problem a service was set up called Deja news which held a huge archive of usenet messages that could be accessed via a web portal. Google acquired the deja news archive I believe and incorporated it into their google groups portal. Google groups is really just a web portal to the underlying usenet system.

To access usenet natively you install a usenet reader such as pan and configure it to connect to an nntp server of your choice (some servers require a paid subscription). At that point the usernet reader will download a list of all the groups available on that server. You then subscribe to the ones you are interested in. Some servers do not support binary groups as that can require them to store a huge amount of data.

mips
February 21st, 2012, 11:32 PM
There seems to be some communication problem here , you not understanding my questions and your replies are not answering my question.

The only problem here is you not understanding. Your questions have been answered many times and correctly so.

I'm beginning to think you are trolling as I cannot come to any other conclusion, well maybe I can but I can't post it here as I would surely get an infraction.

nec207
February 23rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
I think I got now . You need a reader that was talked about above and you connect to a server that could be free or not and than you can choose hundreds of usenets on any topic you want .

Where I got confused is I thought you needed to go to web site and type in the website search box the interest you have than you connect to it.

I did not know that when usenets where around there was no web sites. I think what got me confused is every time some one here was replying to me I had google groups and yahoo groups in my head and thought that was how it works.

I did not knwo you need a reader and have to connect to a server and than you can choose hundreds of usenets on any topic you want .

mips
February 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
That's what people have been explaining to you the whole time. Glad you finally get it.