PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Optimization Questions: Acer Aspire 5560G-SB485

MattEdge
February 19th, 2012, 04:15 AM
It's been a long time since I've been on ubuntu (Ubuntu 8 was my last attempt I believe), and I'm looking to make this recent switch permanent

I recently installed 11.10 65 bit onto my Acer Aspire 5560G-SB485 laptop, clean install, no dual boots, just pure Ubuntu. I've been noticing, however, that performance of certain things, has been lacking in comparison to when it was a Windows machine

Some things I've noticed lacking in performance:

Graphics performance on videos/light games
Considerable lag when dragging windows
eclipse IDE compilation performance slow as a crawl

I have not done any optimization or driver workarounds for this machine. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for things I can do to speed this system up/optimize the software and drivers?

Hardware Specs:

AMD A8-3500M Quad Core APU
AMD 6640G2 (6620 integrated, 6470M dedicated Graphics)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
500GB 5400RPM AHCI HDD

I definitely need an appropriate graphics driver. The pre-packaged driver I was using before, and the system's performance was sluggish at best. If anybody has any other suggestions for other drivers/software, they would be greatly appreciated!

My main focuses are on programming, light to moderate gaming, and business applications (MySQL database, word processing, etc etc)

Thanks in advance, and let me know if any further information is needed!

MattEdge
February 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
bump