PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Observations

divergex
February 19th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I am a long-time, off and on Linux user currently running Ubuntu 11.10 and I have noticed a few things that I find interesting:

- Two-finger scrolling works really well for me (Lenovo G570). In Windows 7 with official Synaptics drivers, it was literally unusable. You had to have both fingers at the same horizontal position for it to even work and it was still sporadic.

- Dealing with open-source software offers the benefit of hearing directly from the developers who make the stuff we use every day as opposed to the PR people who normally staff forums, Facebook pages and Twitter accounts.

- I really need to learn how to program in Python or something (I already do HTML/PHP/Javascript) and make some Linux software. Can anyone suggest a good tutorial?

- When bugs are fixed, we often see the results in just a few days or weeks, as opposed to many non-OSS products where you have to buy an upgrade to finally have a bug addressed.

Just some random thoughts, thanks for reading if you made it this far.

winh8r
February 19th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I have had a play around on this tutorial:

http://www.learnpython.org/#

I go back to it now and then but I sort of lost the urge to learn Python recently, but it was quite informative and enjoyable.

Hope this is of some use.