PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Found Running at a Gas Station

tekkidd
February 19th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I was at a gas station today and noticed that Ubuntu was running on the display that usually has advertisements. It apparently rebooted and got stuck at the grub menu. Check it out: http://www.tekkidd.com/2012/02/ubuntu-spotted-found-at-kroger-gas.html

cwklinuxguy
February 19th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Haha NICCEEE! I suggested it as the Runs Linux for the Linux Action Show! :)

Cool to see Ubuntu running in a gas station. Now, if only we can find Ubuntu running in an electric charging station...

speedwell68
February 19th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I work for a local Park & Ride service, I am a CCTV operator. The bus stops on our route are running Ubuntu 8.04.

tekkidd
February 19th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I work for a local Park & Ride service, I am a CCTV operator. The bus stops on our route are running Ubuntu 8.04.

They should consider upgrading. Ubuntu 8.04 is getting old.

speedwell68
February 19th, 2012, 02:58 AM
They should consider upgrading. Ubuntu 8.04 is getting old.

It runs an LED display giving bus arrival times on a closed network. It is a case of if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

doorknob60
February 19th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Yeah a couple years ago I was at a local grocery store and one of their TVs that shows ads and stuff was rebooting, and it was Ubuntu, looked like around 7.04, and it booted and then VLC autostarted and started playing the ads, made me happy :P

LillyDragon
February 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Haha! That is so cool; never would have expected to see the GRUB menu at a gas pump! =P

Sure beats a BSOD, 'cause I've seen them on the fail blog way more than once! Take this one for instance: http://work.failblog.org/2011/11/24/job-fails-the-blue-screen-of-death-hits-best-buy/

And that's not even the worst half of it. >_>

3rdalbum
February 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Linux is often chosen for these things because it is "set and forget". That's probably why there are still many Ubuntu 8.04 machines in public places. Perth Airport's public internet terminals seem to be running 8.04 or another version with the Ubuntulooks theme. That surprises me a little because surely its Flash version is getting very behind-the-times.

wolfen69
February 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Linux is often chosen for these things because it is "set and forget". That's probably why there are still many Ubuntu 8.04 machines in public places. Perth Airport's public internet terminals seem to be running 8.04 or another version with the Ubuntulooks theme. That surprises me a little because surely its Flash version is getting very behind-the-times.

Well said. You saved me some keystrokes. ;)

ikt
February 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Get any photos?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1764195

kevdog
February 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM
If it ain't broken, why fix it??

Those words ring true!!

tekkidd
February 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah a couple years ago I was at a local grocery store and one of their TVs that shows ads and stuff was rebooting, and it was Ubuntu, looked like around 7.04, and it booted and then VLC autostarted and started playing the ads, made me happy :P

Yeah well from the looks of the kernel (2.6.35-24) its either Ubuntu 10.10 or 10.04 with an updated kernel.

Linuxratty
February 20th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I'd rather see a grub menu that stupid ads..Too bad the ads are not Linux ads.

Artemis3
February 20th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Please keep the GRUB_TIMEOUT=30 (o another value above 0) setting to avoid this...