PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize learnings?

jldoll
February 18th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I learn fast, but forget even faster. So if more than a fews days have passed since last time I fixed or improved something, good luck remembering if the issue arises again; or if a friend/family member stumbles upon the same issue. Lately I've been creating help docs titled "Problem Solved" in dedicated directory, in which I copy links and notes for everything I did. I was curious what others do?

josephmills
February 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I like to take the ones that are solved and put them on my wiki.ubuntu.com/josephmills or put them on my backup server. If you like to share we could make into scripts?

BeRoot ReBoot
February 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I used to have trouble with remembering much of anything, so I've taken to writing down everything. I've kept an immaculate journal of everything that's happened in my life for the last five years. It's all plaintext (recently I've been using emacs orgmode) and easily searchable. I only keep it locally (and encrypted) due to the personal nature of most entries, however.

jldoll
February 18th, 2012, 06:17 PM
@Joseph Mills
What do you mean make into scripts?
@BeRoot ReBoot
That's great discipline. I've kept journals off and on professionally. I'll be diligent for weeks/months then somehow I fall off the wagon. Then arrive back at needing more organization and start again. What's emacs orgmode?

BeRoot ReBoot
February 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
What's emacs orgmode?

A way to implement some pretty advanced features like journals, agendas, todo lists and even spreadsheets, in plaintext files. Something every Emacs user should know.

http://orgmode.org/

jldoll
February 23rd, 2012, 04:17 AM
A way to implement some pretty advanced features like journals, agendas, todo lists and even spreadsheets, in plaintext files. Something every Emacs user should know.

http://orgmode.org/

Finally got a chance to play with this. Very cool.

Muddypaws
February 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
I have similar problem. I have a WordPress blog, with pages with subjects and tags on display on. 150ish posts so far (but never put live on the internets ^^)