PDA

View Full Version : Help (probably) needs !

sante76
June 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Moved here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192741)

pshirey
June 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I just decided to start using linux because WindowsXP Home was being really slow. It might was mostly just the internet and things running off the internet. It might take 2 or 3 whole hours just to download something.](*,) :mad: I would get enoyed by how long it might take! So when my dad brings home the disk for it I'm goig to try it. But I'm going to have my computer be able to dual boot between windows and linux, because I have a recording software that runs on windows. I have other programs that run on windows to.

sante76
June 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
:D Good morning everybody!

I'm from Italy, where I've subscribed the Ubuntu! initiative into Italian community. I've got a question for you all ( I hope this is the better thread ).

Some of us, in Italy, starting thinking that one of problems that make paining moving from others O.S. is the new system very different from other one's. So we are thinking to make a version of this O.S. much more similar to others in circulations to make simply newbies lifes. For example, we would like to make a list of software that are the perfect alter-ego of one's in other's O.S.

The question is: do you agree? Can we have your help if we will need a new installation procedure make simply to get a "coming from S.O." like structure?

Thank you all. (Sorry for my English!) :D

tribaal
June 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Well... Your english is great, but...

I don't think being so much alike other OSes is what a majority wants. We like linux because it's different... that's the whole point. :)

- trib'

sante76
June 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Well... Your english is great, but...
Thanks

I don't think being so much alike other OSes is what a majority wants. We like linux because it's different... that's the whole point. :)

- trib'

Ok: we had similar criticts also in Italy, at start.

I would like to underline that Linux is different from others O.S. and must be different from they forever! =D>

Our goal is to keep in evidence that newbies (as we had discovered with some threads in our forum ) sometimes don't come in Linux because of their friends don't make same action too. Getting the first one, sometimes, means get an entire group of new users!

We agree with idea that these people are not really like to make a chooice: they stay in their original O.S. because of scary to loose the friends compatibility (as we call). In few words, most people thinks that, moving to Linux, they will not be able, for example, to open a section with a Window user speaking by the Messenger! We would like to make Linux duck ready in sense that it must be as simple as others O.S. for people who ignore where to connect a mouse! ](*,)

We, also, think that, probably, having new, lots of people using Linux, is the only way to get driver, hardware and other things Linux ready.The approach "...read documentation and you will know what you want..." don't works well with a lot of computer users not really entusiast of book reading ( a lot! ) in general.

We had dimostrated that translation of documentation is not really appreciate: generally speaking, people prefer to make question to their friends also when documentation is under their noses.:-k

Somebody says, also, that in general if people is really free to customize Linux as it like, people must be free to get something that, remaining a Linux project with Linux applications, can be similar to its original O.S. desktop. So these peolple can start using the new O.S. without scary, thinking to be at home.

After lots of rows, I sincerly hope you're not sleeping!:rolleyes:

What you think all?

;)

jvictor
June 10th, 2006, 09:12 AM
My TWO cents

1) Networking (In terms of chat, video conferencing, browsing)
The primary goal is Proper hardware support and things work out of the box; which is tuff to achieve while I write this. But yes things have improved drastically now.

The goal must be to use OPEN stds , not some flimsy one that a vendor changes over night.

I'd suggest

Firefox as browser
Openwengo for video conferencing
Tapioca for Gtalk (Not open though :( but 'semi-open')

2) Multimedia
Multimedia **must** work out of the box.
People new to linux may not like the idea of scouring thru forums to get to play a Mp3 or DVD.

Yes , there are limitations on the codecs, but this is what I feel.

Can we include the choice of installing *NON-FREE* codecs to the user after intallation of the base system . Im not sure abt this

3) Digicams , IPod support

There are apps like Gtkam and Gtkpod that do this v well.

Finally you can leave alone the techies coz they can figure out things by themselves :)

Engnome
June 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM
There is one problem with making a distro look like windows (or any other os): It will only be on the surface. As soon as the beginner starts scrathing the surface on his new OS he will start wondering why isnt this working/functioning exactly like my old OS?

I think it should be clear from the beginning that "You are not using windows or whatever anymore, get used to it! Learn!"

I think beginners would just be annoyed by these small differences that are everywhere that they'll just switch back.

sante76
June 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
"You are not using windows or whatever anymore, get used to it! Learn!"

Ok: it's really good idea. But we are speaking about people don't like to learn! I say that we only must make a distro where for each program in original O.S. must be a clone in Linux. They must got same instrument they got in the past, not the same applications, I mean.

Openoffice instead of Office, Kcalc instead Calculator and so on (sorry: I'm clearly coming from Windows but it's same for other O.S.).

When newbies found that, for example, there is nothing just ready ( I mean: to download is a complicate concept from somebody!) in Linux they think, simply, that Linux is not good as others O.S.! I just know that's false but I'm not all peoples! They don't think, like us, that Internet is endless database! They see Internet like a big Journal (when all is right!). [-(

Remember our final target: got a lot of users, not programmers! Lot of users means drivers, hardware, software (we have just, I know), books, and so on!

( Please: I'm not English and it's very difficult for me to read some slangs. Help me write all word without punctations! Thank you ).

IYY
June 11th, 2006, 12:47 AM
There is a project called XPDE, which makes Linux act and look just like Windows XP (without using any copyrighted artwork, it's just the style that's similar). You could look at that.

vladozan
June 11th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I have tried several linux distributions and when i ran the live cd of ubuntu first i was really disappointed that i can't play my mp3s or listen to the BBC radio (because of no real support). Later when i was forced by circunstances to move to install ubuntu and look where's the problem i changed my mind. Anyway, such a short note that why i couldn't had played my mp3 and what could have been done about it would have been great. I don't think the the problem is in interface, but the need of "active" approach to your pc, where unlike the other OS sometimes you must do more than just click and install.

Engnome
June 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Openoffice instead of Office, Kcalc instead Calculator and so on (sorry: I'm clearly coming from Windows but it's same for other O.S.).

When newbies found that, for example, there is nothing just ready ( I mean: to download is a complicate concept from somebody!) in Linux they think, simply, that Linux is not good as others O.S.!

I thought this was what we already have:confused: Sometimes to annoy my friends I say: With a new windows install you have to work for about 2 hours before its working. With ubuntu you get all you ever wanted from the start, like: gimp, firefox and Open office. In windows you have to run around the whole internet looking for the right app. (didnt even mention automatix wich can install alot more with just a few clicks.)

Also I compare the quality:
Internet Explorer - Firefox
notepad - gedit
paint - gimp
wordpad - open office

sante76
June 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
There is a project called XPDE, which makes Linux act and look just like Windows XP (without using any copyrighted artwork, it's just the style that's similar). You could look at that.

Right! Can you give me a URL, please? :)

sante76
June 11th, 2006, 10:19 PM
...With a new windows install you have to work for about 2 hours before its working...

Sorry but I've worked for two days to get a working Ubuntu installed machine. Naturally there was something not working in machine itself that I've resolved (I've simply cleaned CDROM reader when I understood that CD image was right).

A newbie can understand this? I think not. So, I think the better way to get a new user is not to say it that our world is better of its; our world is simply different but is so like to its world to be not difficult to understand .

Sometime, to well expose my idea, I spoke about cars: they are all different! But, pedals do same things in all cars; button associate same picture to same function.

How many time you need to understend how you brothers car works? :D

sante76
June 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM
It will only be on the surface.

This is a good new! The surface will only need to make simply to understand at start. ;)