PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failure to create a usable USB install

aszy
February 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Good day all. I have successfully downloaded and created the initial CD , and have booted up from the CD to validate the image. This is on a MacBook Pro if it makes any difference.
I have followed the instructions for moving that same .iso file onto a USB stick, about three different ways , all of which fail. When I use either the Disk Utility supplied by Apple, or the hdiutil through the Terminal, I can create a .dmg file, and I can move it to the USB stick ( sudo dd ) .

However, neither ( one created by Disk Utility and the one created by hdiutil ) of the .dmg files can be mounted : an error stating "No mountable file system" is presented. Furthermore, the USB, when the disk image has been moved onto it becomes no longer mountable for the same error / reason.

My question then becomes twofold :
1) is there something I am doing wrong and how do I remedy this problem
2) More Importantly, Once I have booted up Ubuntu from the initial CD, can I choose to install the OS onto the USB at that time? Will I be presented with the option to put the OS somewhere other than my native hard disk ( the one with Mac OSX on it ) ?

The USB stick is a virgin PNY 8 Gig unit that has been erased and formated with FAT16.

I thank you for your time and efforts.
Al

[ after reading through some of the posts on Absolute Beginner, I cross posted my question here. I will not make a habit of multiple postings . aj ]