PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon 1.3 released for anyone interested

philinux
February 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/cinnamon-13-released-with-more.html

kevdog
February 17th, 2012, 11:27 PM
How is Cinammon different than regular Ubuntu?? Sorry about the noob question!

HansKisaragi
February 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM
How is Cinammon different than regular Ubuntu?? Sorry about the noob question!

Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME Shell, initially developed by Linux Mint. It attempts to provide a more traditional user environment based on the desktop metaphor, like GNOME 2. Cinnamon uses Muffin, a fork of the GNOME 3 window manager Mutter, as its window manager from Cinnamon 1.2 onwards.

Its super fast and I love it.

I made a guide on how to install Cinnamon (https://viiralicious.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/installing-cinnamon-on-ubuntu/)

note: the PPA have not been updated yet for 1.3 as it says in the op link.

neu5eeCh
February 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Hey, that's great news. Far as I'm concerned, Cinnamon & XFCE are the two most promising DEs going (sorry Canonical). I expect to see it adopted by other distros.

drawkcab
February 18th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cinnamon is tasty!!! I'm using it right now on my HTPC and I will probably use it to replace gnome shell on my primary box.

Looks like development is flying along. Can't wait for this one to show up in the ubuntu ppa.

HansKisaragi
February 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I did update my guide with new ppas if anyone is interested. link (https://viiralicious.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/installing-cinnamon-on-ubuntu/)

Dry Lips
February 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yay! :D

drawkcab
February 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I did update my guide with new ppas if anyone is interested. link (https://viiralicious.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/installing-cinnamon-on-ubuntu/)

Firing this up right now, thanks!

MasterNetra
February 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM

NVM didn't read the OP link at the time of post muffin and such dependencies are provided for their.

MasterNetra
February 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Its needs libcogl5 installed but one or more of its dependencies aren't meant.

cwklinuxguy
February 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Anybody know how well this'll run on a low-end Netbook?

viperdvman
February 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hey, my netbook runs Oneric... so maybe I could use it to give Cinnamon a try :)

drawkcab
February 19th, 2012, 02:46 AM

About as well as gnome shell on my atom ion nettop--which is to say, not that responsive but has great scalability which I need since I run it as an htpc.

BigCityCat
February 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I do not like the huge applications menu.

Pogeymanz
February 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
I do not like the huge applications menu.

That and it's kind of slow. Still, it's way better than (regular) Gnome-Shell.

viperdvman
February 21st, 2012, 08:59 AM

I run an AMD V105 with AMD Radeon HD 4250 on my netbook, and it runs Unity very well (GNOME 3-based). I haven't run GNOME Shell on it, but when I experimented with Fedora 15 on it, GNOME Shell ran very well on it.

Note: I don't have a low-end netbook. Mine is actually one of the higher-end ones... most powerful single-core netbook out there. The new AMD C-50's, E-series, and dual-core Atoms / NVidia ION will outpower it.

By low-end, I assume you mean a single-core Intel Atom with the Intel GMA 3150 graphics. I'm not really sure, but I probably wouldn't recommend running GNOME 3 (outside of Fallback), Unity (except 2D), nor KDE Plasma unless you have 2GB of RAM in it (gives your install some more breathing room).

Robynsveil
February 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
note: the PPA have not been updated yet for 1.3 as it says in the op link.
Any idea when this might happen? Or be announced?

haresear
February 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM
How is Cinnamon different from Mint (other than themes)?

neu5eeCh
February 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
How is Cinnamon different from Mint (other than themes)?

Mint is the general name under which the various versions of Mint appear, somewhat equivalent to Ubuntu, with its various versions --> Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu --> Linux Mint 9 LXDE, LMDE XFCE (which is their current XFCE distrobution), and Linux Mint 12 KDE.

Cinnamon is a DE built on the Gnome Base, somewhat like Unity.

haresear
February 21st, 2012, 10:12 PM
So Cinnamon 1.3 is not related to Linux Mint 12? The menu I see displayed on the Cinnamon 1.3 link in the first post looks just like my Mint 12/Gnome-shell installation. I also read somewhere that Cinnamon was started by the Linux Mint founder. I was just wondering if Cinnamon would be much different than my Mint12/Gnome-shell.

neu5eeCh
February 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
So Cinnamon 1.3 is not related to Linux Mint 12? The menu I see displayed on the Cinnamon 1.3 link in the first post looks just like my Mint 12/Gnome-shell installation. I also read somewhere that Cinnamon was started by the Linux Mint founder. I was just wondering if Cinnamon would be much different than my Mint12/Gnome-shell.

No, Cinnamon was not developed with Mint 12. Mint 12 was released with Gnome MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) prior to Cinnamon or the Gnome Shell Extensions page. The Gnome Shell Extensions page more or less made MGSE redundant and unnecessary. However, Clem didn't and doesn't like the direction Gnome has taken so, after the release of Mint 12 (which is essentially the Gnome version of Ubuntu), he focused on Cinnamon, which is an alternative to Gnome Shell and Unity that sits on the same Gnome base as Gnome Shell and Unity.

Cinnamon is very different from Gnome Shell, both in appearance, use and philosophy. It rejects the touch/screen & mobile oriented developments in Gnome Shell and Unity, favoring the older paradigms found in Apple, XP, Windows 7 & 8, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and (for most users) Gnome 2.

That said, and because of the Gnome Shell Extensions page, the differences between Gnome Shell and Cinnamon are of a more subtle sort (since Gnome Shell can be made to look much like Cinnamon) - how multiple desktops are handled, how apps are handled when called on, how applets are handled, etc... If Clem can get more support and momentum behind Cinnamon, I think the differences will become more pronounced. Cinnamon is still *just* getting started.

Robynsveil
February 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with the Cinnamon desktop (which solved the two-monitor issue for me: the second monitor wouldn't even show *up* in Unity/Gnome3)...

cybergalvez
February 22nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just installed Cinnamon on a VM to compare it with xubuntu. All I can say is Wow! great interface, takes all the goodness of gnome 2 and updates it.

Personally I really like gnome shell, but I do have a couple of computers that I was considering xubuntu on because the users don't like gnome-shell. I think I'll give this a try to see how they like it

MasterNetra
February 22nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hmm I want to put cinnimon on cinnimon but when I try to install libcogl5 it wants to remove Ubuntu-desktop as well as gedit and totem and a number of other things that I don't want removed.. :/

philinux
February 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Update on this. By the way I'm a unity user but just like to spread the news.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/alternative-cinnamon-ppa-for-ubuntu.html

odiseo77
February 23rd, 2012, 05:22 AM
Interesting. Too bad there are no binaries for Debian on the downloads section. (I guess I'll have to compile it in case I decide to use it).

Robynsveil
February 23rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Update on this. By the way I'm a unity user but just like to spread the news.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/alternative-cinnamon-ppa-for-ubuntu.html

Thanks for this: installed! :)

SemiExpert
February 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
That and it's kind of slow.

Well, that's my criticism of Mint in general.

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
I just installed Cinnamon 1.3, and I'm liking it pretty well. I do agree that it's kind of slow, though.

My other big complaint is that the panel and panel launcher icons are way too small, and it's not easy to customize that without screwing everything up. I edited the cinnamon.css file and a couple of javascript files, and I got it the size bigger. But when I did that, full screen windows stretched to the bottom of the screen behind the panel. So I put everything back how it was, and now I have to decide whether Cinnamon is awesome enough to deal with a small panel and slowness.