PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why do I have a new panel on my desktop I cant get rid of?

gardengxc
February 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with gnome classic and after a restart I find I have a new panel at the top of my desktop. I hate panels at the top I find they do nothing but get in the way for me but to my surprise I can't do anything to it not even move the bloody thing. Is there a new update to gnome clasic that would do this? If so what is it so I can undo this.

I really love Gnome but I like Gnome the way I set it up.

cortman
February 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Alt+right click on panel, "remove panel".

gardengxc
February 17th, 2012, 10:44 PM
First thing I tried. Didn't work.
[IMG]http://oi44.tinypic.com/6qjkvt.jpg

cortman
February 18th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Yes, your problem is different than I envisioned- I thought you were referring to a panel on the top of the screen. I seem to remember from my gnome-fallback days that if I made a panel extra wide, it would act like that. Maybe try Alt+right click on the bottom panel and see what the width is set to?

gardengxc
February 18th, 2012, 02:08 AM
The new bar us independent of any panel. Removing them does nothing same with messing with their properties. Further the content of the new panel isn't anything I put in.

Copper Bezel
February 18th, 2012, 02:55 AM
It's not a panel - it's a Nautilus bug unique to Ubuntu's Gnome 3 that happens in Shell and, apparently, Fallback. I thought this problem had been fixed in the current version of 11.10, though. Weird.

If you open Advanced Settings (Gnome Tweak Tool) and disable "Have file manager handle the desktop," what happens?

gardengxc
February 18th, 2012, 03:24 AM
My desktop is reduced back to just my wallpaper. The bar disappears along with my with my icons.

Copper Bezel
February 18th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Okay, try this then. Remove the appmenu packages:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt

Log out, log back in, and see what you get. (This will break Unity, but I'm assuming that's not a problem.)

Edit: Oh, and turn the Nautilus desktop back on, of course.

gardengxc
February 18th, 2012, 03:50 AM
That seems to have fixed it.

Yup everything seems to be working now, Thanks.

Copper Bezel
February 18th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Sweet. = ) Be sure to mark the thread as Solved (Thread Tools at the upper right.)

gardengxc
February 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Again thanks for the help that was bugging the hell out of me.