PDA

View Full Version : The end of the Mozilla suite?

nocturn
March 11th, 2005, 10:13 AM
What will this mean for the Linux community?

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6206

Future of the Mozilla Application Suite: No Official Mozilla 1.8, Community Transition Plan Unveiled
Thursday March 10th, 2005

The Mozilla Foundation has published its Mozilla Application Suite transition plan, ending days of speculation about the future of the SeaMonkey project. The announcement confirms that there will be no official Mozilla 1.8 release and offers an apology to all those who believed that there would be. The 1.7.x line will be the last set of Mozilla Application Suite products released and maintained by the Mozilla Foundation and all future suite versions from the Foundation will be minor updates only.

However, the Mozilla Foundation will offer infrastructure support to a community effort to continue development of the Mozilla Application Suite, probably under a different name. The exact details still have to be worked out but will broadly follow the plan outlined by Boris Zbarsky. We expect that more details will be posted on the home page of the nascent SeaMonkey community effort over the next few days. Mozilla Foundation President Mitchell Baker has posted background details on the SeaMonkey community transition plan on her weblog.

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
What will this mean for the Linux community?

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=6206
As long as development for firefox continues, not much. Mozilla/Netscape are having troubles with making a better browser than the monster they unleashed codenamed Firefox. Though, if theyre going to dismantle , I hope the leave Firefox linux to the open public.

nocturn
March 11th, 2005, 10:41 AM
http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey-transition.html

This soulds like good news to the FireFox users:

In 2003 we announced our intention to shift development focus from the integrated Mozilla Application Suite (commonly referred to as "Seamonkey") to a new generation of applications -- the Mozilla Firefox browser and the Mozilla Thunderbird mail and news client. That shift in focus occurred almost immediately, as the Mozilla Foundation was formed and we hired the lead developers for Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird.

thane
March 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Hopefully work will continue with the new individual applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. to make them better and work well together.

So instead one large monothilic application, in the future you will have the Firefox/Mozilla suite of applications from which you can install and use what you need.

/Thane

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Hopefully work will continue with the new individual applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. to make them better and work well together.

So instead one large monothilic application, in the future you will have the Firefox/Mozilla suite of applications from which you can install and use what you need.

/Thane
I just wish they dont try to revive mozilla with a firefox with everythig integrated [chat, mail ,etc], it would make it even heavier than it already is. I hope they improve at least until I-Explorer 7 is out and firefox squashes it.

jdodson
March 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
i have heard the foundation say this for awhile now(like years). they have stated for sometime that they were going to "depricate" or stop release on the mozilla suite in favor of firefox and thunderbird and sunbird. honestly it is kind of a bummer, i used the suite for many years when there was no better option for a free browser. i think the mozilla suite will continue to live on though, some people will take it up and give it a new life i would imagine.

landotter
March 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Well that sucks.

Everybody uses the buzzword "bloat" when talking about the Mozilla suite...

Open up Synaptic, search "Mozilla" and have a look. The suite IS modular!! Just not on windows.

My momma's box I set up for her has had Mozilla and Moz mailnews on it for a very long time, We even migrated her from Windows XP to Ubuntu and she didn't know the difference.

I thought about moving her to FF/Tbird, but why? She already was familiar with plain Moz--it was stable as a rock AND it used less memory than firing up both FF and Tbird.

Yeah, the FF interface/UI is perhaps an improvement on Mozilla--but guess what--beneath that boring exterior, Mozilla HAS been slowly evolving over the past few years--it's not Netscape underneath as many would lead you to believe, that's an unfortunate myth hyped by the FF hipsters.

Mozilla with the Mailnews work together so much more seamlessly than the FF/Tbird combo--I'll be very sad to see it go.

The hypesters have also been hawking Nvu, like it's revolutionary--just a spit shined Mozilla Composer that's been a decent entry level HTML composer for years.

sheesh.

landotter
March 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Might I also add that checking top, a fresh start of Mozilla and FF use virtually the same amount of memory and start in the same amount of time.

Mozilla uses perhaps 5mb more on average and takes a second more to start. Not anything to go crying home about.

jwb
March 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
The hypesters have also been hawking Nvu, like it's revolutionary--just a spit shined Mozilla Composer that's been a decent entry level HTML composer for years.

sheesh.

yeah, I heard about Nvu. Talking like it was Dreamweaver. Uh...... no. It's improved over the old Mozilla Composer, but..... ah, no cigar. if I'm gonna code under Linux, it'll be Bluefish, thank you. If I'm on a Windows box, give me Dreamweaver. Expensive, not available for Linux- but dang, as a professional developer, give me something to make things happen faster, so i can finish up and go back to Pingus. :-)

Nvu ain't it. (Yet- keep working on it.....)

mark
March 12th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Well, this news saddens me. I've been kinda following it out of the corner of my eye (so to speak) and it sounds like, this time, Mozilla might just mean it.

I've used MozSuite for a long time and continue to use it today (I just can't quite get comfortable with FF/TB). I hope the SeaMonkey community fork does happen.

CowPie
March 12th, 2005, 06:58 PM
That's too bad. I hate firefox (I use opera), while still liking some features, such as toolbar customization, so I'm sad that Mozilla suite won't be improved anymore ;(

nocturn
March 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM
That's too bad. I hate firefox (I use opera), while still liking some features, such as toolbar customization, so I'm sad that Mozilla suite won't be improved anymore ;(

Well, it looks like there will be a community version of Mozilla seamonkey.

Personally, I love FireFox...