PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using upgrade tool from 11.04 to 11.10 on dual boot system

seifer877
February 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Hello! So I'm not exactly new to Linux (own 2 Laptops 100% ubuntu and a desktop pc with a dual partition for 11.04 and W7). Been using linux for about 6 years now.

However, whenever I've upgraded/changed versions of linux in the past (I used to switch back and forth between distros until i decided to stick with ubuntu), I never really used an 'upgrade tool'. I would just do a clean install and delete the old version.

So my laptops already have 11.10 up and running and I love it enough to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 on my desktop.

My question is, will using the upgrade "prompt"/tool from 11.04 to upgrade to 11.10 erase or damage my Windows partition? I've read some stories about certain grub options disappearing. I just don't want to lose the files that I have on W7 (they're too many and way too disorganized to backup efficiently).

I would be ok with completely erasing Windows from my system if it weren't for Steam and Netflix so it's pretty important for that partition to be undamaged and for me to still be able to successfully boot into either OS...

I appreciate the help! Thanks!

zvacet
February 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Upgrading Ubuntu ( or any other linux distro) has nothing to do with your other partition ( Windows in your case).You should be able to upgrade via internet without problem.