PDA

View Full Version : Hacking American's Future

neu5eeCh
February 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/02/16/hacking-americas-future

Listened to this, this morning. Fascinating stuff. The degree to which Chinese Hackers are able to hack American companies (including through a thermostat!!!) is astonishing. The entire time I was listening, I was wondering to what degree linux systems are similarly vulnerable. Give it a listen.

haqking
February 17th, 2012, 01:10 AM
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2012/02/16/hacking-americas-future

Listened to this, this morning. Fascinating stuff. The degree to which Chinese Hackers are able to hack American companies (including through a thermostat!!!) is astonishing. The entire time I was listening, I was wondering to what degree linux systems are similarly vulnerable. Give it a listen.

every system is vulnerable in a connected world.

Security is a process not a state or product.

System security is about security administration and ongoing education and vigilance and not resting on laurels.

juancarlospaco
February 17th, 2012, 01:28 AM
ongoing education and vigilance

This

You can have everything you want on Sec, ...but if the boss uses 12345 on the password account...

restorator
February 17th, 2012, 02:04 AM

System security is about security administration and ongoing education and vigilance and not resting on laurels.

Ditto This /\

Gremlinzzz
February 17th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I don't believe its new its just corporate espionage.most of your computers don't have anything worth Hacking.there looking for the good stuff:popcorn:

JDShu
February 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Microsoft software, is, in fact, more vulnerable than (widely used) open source software. This is probably due to the inherent properties of open source software compared to proprietary software. So there is that aspect of it. I'm not sure how often these vulnerabilities are actually exploited though. Might be something interesting to research.

Most security breaches however, especially the high profile ones in 2011, such as the Playstation Network, and Citibank appear to have been due to incompetence by the organizations in question. From the sounds of it, they made shoddy in-house software that was easily broken.

Gremlinzzz
February 17th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Right now every country in the world is Hacking each other,they all have trained teams:popcorn:
and all corporations too

Gremlinzzz
February 17th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Top 5 Hackers in the world
Kevin Mitnick
Kevin Poulsen
Adrian Lamo
Robert T. Morris, Jr
Eric Corley
and what they did
http://savedelete.com/top-5-hackers-in-the-world.html
:popcorn:

cariboo
February 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Top 5 Hackers in the world
Kevin Mitnick
Kevin Poulsen
Adrian Lamo
Robert T. Morris, Jr
Eric Corley
and what they did
http://savedelete.com/top-5-hackers-in-the-world.html
:popcorn:

Shouldn't that be the Top 5 Hackers That Got Caught? :) :)

Gremlinzzz
February 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Shouldn't that be the Top 5 Hackers That Got Caught? :) :)

LOL didn't think of that:popcorn:

neu5eeCh
February 17th, 2012, 03:58 AM

Yeah.... doesn't sound like you listened to the program. This goes way beyond something as idle as "security administration".

MisterGaribaldi
February 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM
No system is perfect, and no group of users are perfect, either.

I don't normally bother with news reports like that because it's all hype and distortion and ratings-oriented.

And yes, security is a process.

neu5eeCh
February 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
No system is perfect, and no group of users are perfect, either. I don't normally bother with news reports like that...

Oh well... never mind. With complacency like that, the report makes complete sense. Thread closed as far as I'm concerned... Carry on.

haqking
February 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Oh well... never mind. With complacency like that, the report makes complete sense. Thread closed as far as I'm concerned... Carry on.

understanding that no system is secure is not complacency, thinking a system is secure is complacency