PDA

View Full Version : linux phone?

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hey, it's Dommer with another dumb question!

I know it is possible to put linux in.... Well literally.... Any machine you can think of that has a GUI. What could I use in an old motorola RAZR that I have AND would I need an SD card to do it with?

It works fine, though I bet it could use a new battery. It is pretty old though, like 05-ish maybe, possibly 07. 08 at max because I know I got it out of a recycle bin at the middle school between 06 and 08. I know, big jump, but hey I can try right? It's how discoveries are made!

If I can do such, could anyone post a link and possibly walk me through putting it in and installing it? It would be nice to use it for like.... IDK monitoring my home network I guess. I know I can do this with a smart phone but with no job/income and not out of HS yet, I doubt I can acquire a smart phone of any type.

Anyhow, enough of my autism and it's banter spouted everywhere. *Sweeps up spouted banter*. If ANYONE at all could, not help really, but I guess inquire on how I can do this I would love to know! :D

That and I'm always learning about anything I could want to anymore. If it catches my eye, I'm after it! :p

Thanks!!!

- ph4nt0m117 / Dommer

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hey, it's Dommer with another dumb question!

I know it is possible to put linux in.... Well literally.... Any machine you can think of that has a GUI. What could I use in an old motorola RAZR that I have AND would I need an SD card to do it with?

It works fine, though I bet it could use a new battery. It is pretty old though, like 05-ish maybe, possibly 07. 08 at max because I know I got it out of a recycle bin at the middle school between 06 and 08. I know, big jump, but hey I can try right? It's how discoveries are made!

If I can do such, could anyone post a link and possibly walk me through putting it in and installing it? It would be nice to use it for like.... IDK monitoring my home network I guess. I know I can do this with a smart phone but with no job/income and not out of HS yet, I doubt I can acquire a smart phone of any type.

Anyhow, enough of my autism and it's banter spouted everywhere. *Sweeps up spouted banter*. If ANYONE at all could, not help really, but I guess inquire on how I can do this I would love to know! :D

That and I'm always learning about anything I could want to anymore. If it catches my eye, I'm after it! :p

Thanks!!!

- ph4nt0m117 / Dommer

Just stumbled upon the phones age, it is from 05.

Again thx!

absolutezero1287
February 17th, 2012, 01:40 AM
What are the specs for the phone? That would be a good place to start.

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Modes CDMA 850 / CDMA 1900

Weight 3.49 oz (99 g)

Dimensions 3.90" x 2.10" x 0.60" (99 x 53 x 15 mm)

Form Factor Clamshell Internal Antenna

Battery Life Talk: 3.33 hours (200 minutes) Standby: 215 hours (9 days)

Battery Type LiIon 740 mAh

Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD) Colors: 65,536 (16-bit) Size: 176 x 220 pixels

Platform / OS Symbian/ Verizon proprietary

Memory 30 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)

Phone Book Capacity 1000

FCC ID IHDT56FT1 (Approved 1 Sep 2005)

CREDIT: wikipedia

That sums it up pretty much.

absolutezero1287
February 17th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Judging by the specs you gave I highly doubt that installing Linux on your Razr is going to be worth the time and effort.

If you want to install ANY operating system on anything at all you need to know a few things like what processor architecture you have (not listed but I suspect it might be some kind of ARM), memory requirement versus available memory, and other hardware compatibility information. Why do you even want to install Linux on your phone to begin with?

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Well, you see, I do stupid projects, and I have junk everywhere..... WHY NOT! I might as well have something to do rather than be a mass of blah sitting on the couch and watching TV :V I do believe it is arm, which I know is a little difficult for linux, but I found a listing earlier and it said some type of debian could be installed over bluetooth.

I'm not trying to accomplish anything, but more towards adding a tool to my inventory or a toy to my box.

One of the two, anyhow.

uRock
February 17th, 2012, 04:46 AM
ubuntu doesn't have a release for mobile phones, yet.

Moved to Cafe.

absolutezero1287
February 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM
That's cool. I'm all for hobbyist projects like that. However I wouldn't know where to start. You should try searching for the phone to see if anyone else has tried to install Linux on it.

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Be brilliant if it has been done. If so I wonder if monitoring my home network could be possible o:

opendevlite
February 17th, 2012, 05:05 AM
android is linux rigth, so its linux phone

FuturePilot
February 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
AFAIK you can't put Linux on feature phones (dumb phones).