PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 to windows xp/ubuntu 10.10 studio dual boot

cerebralHigh
February 16th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Hi there, I'm a right noob to this, but Im really keen to get to grips with the ins and out of my hard drive.

I recently got hold of an old toshiba satalite L40 17" it had windows vista and was in a bad way so I installed the latest ubuntu distro and went for a complete ubuntu installation & got rid of windows.

All went well, but ubuntu 11.10 is running painfully slow. Also I can't upload music onto my ios5 iPhone... As of yet. I know they're working on it.

So What I want to do is start over and set up a dual boot windows xp & ubuntu studio 10.10 (I'm thinking the older ubuntu desktop will run faster, I've read allot in the forums and it could be slow for all sorts of reasons, but most likely to be graphics)...

The disks I have ready are:
Ubuntu studio 10.10
Win xp pro sp3 & and another disk with windows xp sp3 network installation package
DBAN

My plan was to use Dban to clear out the hard drive (I don't want to completely destroy it though), install win xp, then create another partition and install the ubuntu studio.
I'm trying to find a download for the drivers for the toshiba as I think the Dban will remove them.

Any advice before I dig myself into a massive hole would be greatly appreciated.

chait
February 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,
You can try this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

zvacet
February 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM
For Windows drivers look at Toshiba web site.They should be there.If you want to install older Ubuntu version,it is better to install 10.04 because it is LTS and next Ubuntu will be LTS too so you will be able to upgrade directly from 10.04 to 12.04 if you want to.You donīt need DBAN because when you start Windows installation you will be able to clean your disc,or just make partition on wich you will install Windows.After that on unallocated space install Ubuntu.

cerebralHigh
February 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hi,
You can try this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks it's all becoming clear now

cerebralHigh
February 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM
For Windows drivers look at Toshiba web site.They should be there.If you want to install older Ubuntu version,it is better to install 10.04 because it is LTS and next Ubuntu will be LTS too so you will be able to upgrade directly from 10.04 to 12.04 if you want to.You donīt need DBAN because when you start Windows installation you will be able to clean your disc,or just make partition on wich you will install Windows.After that on unallocated space install Ubuntu.

Ok thanks for the advise on which distro to use.
When I stick the windows xp cd in, it can't see the hard drive. There is an option for a "windows automated recovery disk" of which I don't have either. (it's a bootleg copy of course & my iPhone is off the back of a lorry so I'm "keeping it real";))
I'm now putting all the drivers on a disk and trying to get the relevant recovery disks.

cerebralHigh
February 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM
OK. I was sat there, trying to work out what drivers I needed & how to put them on the machine, when in wheels my friend Tim. I knew straight away he was clued up on the techie geeky stuff. He showed me how to slipstream the sata driver into a windows instalation cd. Then we added all the other drivers we needed once windows was up.
Instead of a dual boot I've just put Ubuntu on another laptop that was running vista and was compeltely f%$ked! Now she's fast like greased lightning. :guitar: