PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tahoma font anti-aliasing at various sizes

flemur13013
February 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi

On my machine (ubuntu 10.04/64/gnome w/fluxbox) the Tahoma font is anti-aliased with sizes 10,14,18 and larger, but NOT anti-aliased with sizes 12,13,16. ?!?! (Happens with fluxbox and gnome - it's mostly a browser display problem; an example is the "Fonts" and "Size" buttons in the posting GUI in this forum: they're NOT anti-aliased at default size, but ARE anti-aliased if bigger or smaller!)

I'd like Tahoma to be anti-aliased at all font sizes.

I've fiddled with any number of .conf files, "fc-cache -f -v" and nothing seems to do anything.

My ~/.fonts.conf file is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="rgba"> <const>rgb</const> </edit> </match>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="antialias"> <bool>true</bool> </edit> </match>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="autohint"> <bool>false</bool> </edit> </match>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="hinting"> <bool>true</bool> </edit> </match>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"> <const>hintfull</const> </edit> </match>
<match target="font"> <edit mode="assign" name="embeddedbitmap"> <bool>false</bool> </edit> </match>
</fontconfig>

It had no effect ((sudo)fc-cache, reboot, log in/out). The embeddedbitmap entry is supposed to disable using built-in bitmaps in some fonts (? I'm not an expert by any means).

Any ideas?