PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Oceclot without Losing Data

mowque
February 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hello. I was running 10.04 on a desktop (two harddrive, one was simply a data backup). Sadly, my 'first' HD broke. I was able to load up on the 11.10 Live Disc and save my data. I did this my migrating all my files onto my, re-mounted, 'backup disc'. The first HD is now unusable and is trashed.

I'd like to upgrade to 11.10 with the HD I have (which now has all my files on it). Can I install a new Ubuntu without losing my files? The old 10.04 is NOT installed on the backup HD. I am worried that installing Ubuntu will wipe the drive clean, rendering all my files wiped after hours or work saving them.

Any ideas, or do you need more info?

ottosykora
February 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM
you will get here following advise more then once:

backup your files and any important things before you do major operations like upgrade of operating system.

Upgrade is well possible, damage does not happen to often, but it can happen in some special circumstances.

mowque
February 16th, 2012, 06:11 PM
you will get here following advise more then once:

backup your files and any important things before you do major operations like upgrade of operating system.

Upgrade is well possible, damage does not happen to often, but it can happen in some special circumstances.

So, if I install (assuming I backed up) 11.10 onto my harddrive, I shouldn't lose any data already on the disk?