PDA

View Full Version : Joke About Linux

Randymanme
February 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
A friend, a former room mate sent me this: (see attachment)

HansKisaragi
February 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I can't read the text.

Edit: original http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

surfer
February 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
*quietlyweeping*

BeRoot ReBoot
February 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I can't read the text.

Here is a bigger version (http://blog.geeksaresexytech.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fixcomputer.png)

How about linking to the original site instead of a blog that steals content?

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

EDIT: Also, learning C++ won't help you much with "recompiling the kernel", since it's written in C. :)

HansKisaragi
February 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM
How about linking to the original site instead of a blog that steals content?

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

EDIT: Also, learning C++ won't help you much with "recompiling the kernel", since it's written in C. :)

Frankly if anyone cared they would see the url in the pic.. jeeze Louise.

kurt18947
February 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
They missed 1(a) for Linux
Do a little research, buy hardware whose manufacturers support Linux and save the cost of tissues. Optionally, send a letter (yes, snail mail. Snail mail is less likely to wind up in a spam trap or be ignored) to the CEO of company whose hardware you didn't buy and tell CEO why you bought his/her competitor's product.

Dragonbite
February 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM
My method of troubleshooting Windows is the 5 "R"s:

"R"estart the application
"R"eboot the system
"R"einstall the application
"R"einstall Windows
"R"eplace Windows with Linux

So far it's worked for me! :popcorn: (ymmv)

Grenage
February 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
That's the thing with strips such an oatmeal and xkcd, they're terribly hit and miss.

Copper Bezel
February 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Oh dear, this needs updating, doesn't it? I think it works more like this now:

Windows

Restart the computer.
Remove, re-download, reinstall, re-register, and update the program. Find that this has no effect on the problem.
Restart the computer.
Attempt system rollback; find that the problem persists.
Seek help online; receive incoherent wrong answers, unexplained right ones, and suggestions of $20 utilities that just might fix the problem.
Become frustrated; insult a support forum user.
Do something stupid in a terminal window and render the OS unbootable.
Decide that it was time for the semiannual OS reinstall, anyway.

Linux

Restart your login session.
Remove the application's config data. Find that the problem persists.
Try logging into a different session.
Comb your installation history and revert your changes; find that the problem persists.
Seek help online; receive right answers that assume you know what you're doing, detailed and explanations of how you've already demonstrated that you don't, and suggestions of alternative applications or distributions you might try.
Become frustrated; thank and insult a support forum volunteer.

OSX

Restart the application, your login session, etc.
Seek help online; receive well-wishing, sympathetic stories of dealing with the same bug, and a general feeling of hope for the future.
Become nonplussed; thank the support volunteers for their sympathy and wish them well.
Take the machine to the Apple store and have it magically returned exactly like new. Exactly like - but you keep backups, right?
Comfort yourself in the fact that you didn't have to reinstall the OS yourself.

I don't have much experience with OSX, so any corrections in the process there would be smashing. And no offense is intended to anyone involved in support - it's just what these things tend to look like to an inexperienced user in a worst-case scenario.

rectec794613
February 19th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Oh dear, this needs updating, doesn't it? I think it works more like this now:

Windows

Restart the computer.
Remove, re-download, reinstall, re-register, and update the program. Find that this has no effect on the problem.
Restart the computer.
Attempt system rollback; find that the problem persists.
Seek help online; receive incoherent wrong answers, unexplained right ones, and suggestions of $20 utilities that just might fix the problem.
Become frustrated; insult a support forum user.

Linux

Restart your login session.
Remove the application's config data. Find that the problem persists.
Try logging into a different session.
Comb your installation history and revert your changes; find that the problem persists.
Seek help online; receive right answers that assume you know what you're doing, detailed and explanations of how you've already demonstrated that you don't, and suggestions of alternative applications or distributions you might try.
Become frustrated; thank and insult a support forum volunteer.

OSX

Restart the application, your login session, etc.
Seek help online; receive well-wishing, sympathetic stories of dealing with the same bug, and a general feeling of hope for the future.
Become nonplussed; thank the support volunteers for their sympathy and wish them well.
Take the machine to the Apple store and have it magically returned exactly like new. Exactly like - but you keep backups, right?
Comfort yourself in the fact that you didn't have to reinstall the OS yourself.

I don't have much experience with OSX, so any corrections in the process there would be smashing. And no offense is intended to anyone involved in support - it's just what these things tend to look like to an inexperienced user in a worst-case scenario.

LOL
Computers suck :P

robsoles
February 19th, 2012, 03:14 AM
I love TheOatMeal, I don't take too much of the less amusing stuff there too seriously but most of it is funny (or true or, even better, true and funny) enough to read at least once anyway :)

Mr. Picklesworth
February 19th, 2012, 05:04 AM
"Write a regular expression that would make other programmers cry blood"
… isn't that every regular expression?

And, yeah. Still, you don't have to pay for a new operating system. That has to count for something :b

ikt
February 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM
And, yeah. Still, you don't have to pay for a new operating system. That has to count for something :b

Would ubuntu sell if it cost money?

sffvba[e0rt
February 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
After that comic I have concluded that it is better to give up on this personal computer hype and rather go outside for some fresh air.

Gremlinzzz
February 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
A friend, a former room mate sent me this: (see attachment)

Thanks that was funny:popcorn:

Randymanme
February 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm flattered that that's how she remembers me.:guitar:

Randymanme
February 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Would ubuntu sell if it cost money?

Apparently so. From both places (see screenshots), it looks, to me, as though the only flash drives with pre-installed distros they can sell are Ubuntu and Miint (CentOS, too, at one place).

Screenshots from DistroWatch, by the way. But it's like that at a lot other sites/locations