PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] change desktop for xrdp

stn21
February 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I often work with xrdp on oneiric desktop and server.

For that purpose unity is not really a good desktop so I would like to change oneiric including xrdp to another desktop.

On the console that is really easy, just
apt-get install gnome-shell or
apt-get install lbuntu-desktop, then you can choose a different session on the login-screen.

Unfortunately that does not change the desktop for xrdp. That either stays unity or becomes really messed up, depending on which other desktops you install.

Also there is no obvious way to restore it. Once it becomes messed up it stays messed up. The only way to get it running again is to reinstall ubuntu.

Reinstalling xrdp, unity, unity-2d, gnome-shell and xserver-xorg does not restore a working state. Same for dpkg-reconfigure. For now I am assuming that reinstalling some other package(s) will do the trick but I have no idea which ones.

Is there a non-fiddling way on ubuntu 11.10 to change xrdp's desktop to for example gnome-shell?
Is there a non-fiddling way restore xrdp to its original state with unity-desktop?

THX, stn

forsubhi
February 16th, 2012, 02:43 AM
do you try sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

stn21
February 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
do you try sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Tried that
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
# then to be safe:
apt-get install --reinstall xrdp

Does not change anything. In xrdp I get the standard ubuntu-Desktopbackground with a rudimentary menu-bar at the top. The "File"-menü contains "new window" , "new folder" , "new document" , "connect to server". There are also menus "Edit", "View", "Go to" , "Bookmarks", "Help"

The latter is what is needed here :confused: There is not even a way to open a console.

stn21
February 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I am reeeeally tired of all these unity-related issues. Maybe ubuntu 12.04 will include a desktop that actually works :roll:

suseno
October 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah... that's also my problem when logging in from remote using xRDP: Can't Choose Desktop Enviroment