PDA

View Full Version : Python issues...

ph4nt0m117
February 15th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hello!

My current problem is quite hilarious to me... I don't know about you, reader, but funny to me.

I am currently working on a web browser in python with Vim. In scripting the program I try to run it before I continue to see if any bugs are in it. This came up:

Line 3: stynax error in gtk.Window() between 'Window' and ,'('

When I went to see if I was dumb and put a space there, there wasn't anything at all.

So, again I put in the prompt "./browser.py" and the same stynax error.

I updated everything, got a new image installed as well, 500000 things inside of Grub, but nothing was fixed, it still spouted FU LALALAL at me.

Now, now I feel like ripping the sript appart for fun :D

What do.

Tony Flury
February 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
try deleting that line - and retyping it

It might be you have a funny invisible character in there. It does look like an odd error message.

zippaplick
February 16th, 2012, 04:03 AM
What is the first line of your script?

Does it start with:

#!/usr/bin/env python

If it doesn't then its invoking the shell, not python, to run the script.

Alternatively, try running it with python directly:

python browser.py

Tony Flury
February 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM
What is the first line of your script?

Does it start with:

#!/usr/bin/env python

If it doesn't then its invoking the shell, not python, to run the script.

Alternatively, try running it with python directly:

python browser.py

Good catch - did not think about that one - my excuse - the shebang line is automaticly added for me by the editor - so i don't even notice it :-)

zippaplick
February 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Good catch - did not think about that one - my excuse - the shebang line is automaticly added for me by the editor - so i don't even notice it :-)

Sweet. Beware of things that should automagically happen. ;)

ph4nt0m117
February 16th, 2012, 07:32 PM

If I could set VIM up like that I would XD

And yes I put it into python through the shebang line.

I will try putting python in front... Or rage for eternity. Either way :D

Tony Flury
February 16th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Try posting your code - or at least the first few lines, and tell us what you have called your files.

HotCupOfJava
February 17th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Interesting problem, but, you're doing a WEB BROWSER? REALLY?

I can't help but ask why.....is it just for giggles?

Hey - more power to ya.

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hobbyist project for shits.

Mainly what I am going to have it dois go around a schools proxy rules so that youcan go to what ever site you like. Even moreso if SOPA/PIPA/ACTA are passed yet. Though all that stuff has calmed down so no idea if that will be an issue.

HotCupOfJava
February 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM
A proxy huh? It may be more complicated than just a custom browser, depending on what firewall rules you'll be dealing with - a closed port that is refusing connections, etc.

But hey, sounds like an educational process! You'll undoubtedly learn quite a bit, whether or not you succeed.

ph4nt0m117
February 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Many things have come to mind, like firewalls and such. The browser would probably be aimed at medium to low level advanced users because it may have a few tools put in it to go around the firewalls and such. As well as around the governments block on the sites (SOPA, etc...).

When the first release is done I'll probably post it.