PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reliable mobos

tr33m4n
February 15th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hey all,

I've been running an old Pacard Bell for a server for the past 4 or 5 years and, with recent LAN troubles etc I started to think about maybe a full infrastructure upgrade. I was wondering whether anyone has any advice as to motherboard reliability? I've run many makes in the past in various different guises and the only one that seems solid is whatever was put in my Pacard Bell. Jetway is a nono, had ASUS and Gigabyte in the past, both have failed with memory socket issues (maybe it's just dumb luck)... Looking for server reliability (no need for fancy bus speeds or bleeding edge capabilities) for as little pennies as possibile

Cheers

bakegoodz
February 18th, 2012, 05:05 AM
As far as brands Asus and Gigabyte are good choice, not because all of their motherboards are great, but because they have models with all solid capacitors. Motherboards with all solid capacitors are awesome. I've work in computer repair and support for many years. My employer has many computers over 6 years old. So I know what lasts. I've only seen 1 of these types of motherboards go out. It was an ABIT and it just after the 3 year warranty and also after they stopped making motherboards too.
Also I recommend to pick RAM with mainstream speeds and latency. The high end stuff often loses compatibility with motherboards after about 2 or 3 years. (capacitor aging?) My favorite brand of RAM is Kingston. Lifetime warranty and don't have to produce a receipt to get an RMA, unlike OCZ and Corsair.