PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that some people refuse to believe that Linux is safe?

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Here we go again: My dad caught me running a Ubuntu Virtual Machine on top of my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 Host and he immediately took my Ethernet Cable away from me and my WIFI on my Apple IPhone 4 is NOT working either because I hit Verizon's 2GB Cap for my Personal Hotspot making it useless as I am now unable to continue Alpha Testing Ubuntu 12.04 until next month's billing cycle on March 8th! Grr! Just FYI!

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 01:42 AM
There is an idiom that goes, 'he who pays the piper calls the tune'. If your father pays for the Internet connection and Network etc he has the say as to what can and cannot access it.

Bachstelze
February 15th, 2012, 01:52 AM
There is an idiom that goes, 'he who pays the piper calls the tune'. If your father pays for the Internet connection and Network etc he has the say as to what can and cannot access it.

I don't think there was ever any question about that. kevpan815's frustration is still completely justified.

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 02:03 AM
I don't think there was ever any question about that. kevpan815's frustration is still completely justified.

I never said the parents fear was well founded, it is still his choice to impose access restrictions on the network as he sees fit and comfortable with.

nec207
February 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Here we go again: My dad caught me running a Ubuntu Virtual Machine on top of my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 Host and he immediately took my Ethernet Cable away from me and my WIFI on my Apple IPhone 4 is NOT working either because I hit Verizon's 2GB Cap for my Personal Hotspot making it useless as I am now unable to continue Alpha Testing Ubuntu 12.04 until next month's billing cycle on March 8th! Grr! Just FYI!

You need to say more has your post is hard to understand. Did he say that Linux is not safe and that is why he took it away.

You do know that Linux and OS X is base of Unix ? And Apple turns many things off to make it more user friendly where Linux turns more on by default.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM

It seems like your dad may have told you that you are downloading to much data. You used the words "caught me" in your post. If there is a 2GB Cap on Verizon; then, he has every right to tell you not to do Alpha testing. That daily download will exceed the 2GB Cap easily. He pays the Verizon bill I assume; therefore, he can say how the Internet access is used.

I can't tell from your post that your dad's restriction is based on Linux not being safe. It seems to be a bandwidth problem with your downloads.

Shibblet
February 15th, 2012, 02:44 AM

Simply put... FUD.

Rafterman414
February 15th, 2012, 03:00 AM
This reminds me of back in the day when I was playing the Asheron's Call Beta Test late on a school night back when we had dialup, I used a free netzero account to connect because my parents were stingy with the Internet connection info, well one night my parents decided to make a phone call or something and imagine their surprise when they heard that wonderful dialup screech sound, my modem was soon forcefully taken out of the computer.

JDShu
February 15th, 2012, 03:34 AM

True, if he wants to engage in poor parenting, as long a it is not abusive, then it is his choice.

CryptAck
February 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM
It seems like your dad may have told you that you are downloading to much data. You used the words "caught me" in your post. If there is a 2GB Cap on Verizon; then, he has every right to tell you not to do Alpha testing. That daily download will exceed the 2GB Cap easily. He pays the Verizon bill I assume; therefore, he can say how the Internet access is used.

I can't tell from your post that your dad's restriction is based on Linux not being safe. It seems to be a bandwidth problem with your downloads.

I believe the cap he is referring to is related to his iPhone 4 hotspot on Verizon, not his actual home Internet connection.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 15th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I believe the cap he is referring to is related to his iPhone 4 hotspot on Verizon, not his actual home Internet connection.

It really doesn't matter about how the Cap is applied. The dad still owns the Internet connection; therefore, it is his choice how it is used.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 15th, 2012, 03:57 AM
True, if he wants to engage in poor parenting, as long a it is not abusive, then it is his choice.

What poor parenting are you referring to?

JDShu
February 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM
What poor parenting are you referring to?

The part where he prevents his son from expanding his interests for no good reason.

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM

poor parenting ? give me a break. The 'child ' needs to learn respect of others property.

JDShu
February 15th, 2012, 04:13 AM
poor parenting ? give me a break. The 'child ' needs to learn respect of others property.

This and that are two different things.

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
This and that are two different things.

??????????????????? and :confused::confused::confused::confused:

JDShu
February 15th, 2012, 04:20 AM
??????????????????? and :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Teaching a child to respect his parents, and others, is good.

Preventing a child from engaging in things he's interested in, if they are nonharmful activities, is bad.

This thread is about the latter issue. There is no evidence of the former.

CryptAck
February 15th, 2012, 04:21 AM
It really doesn't matter about how the Cap is applied. The dad still owns the Internet connection; therefore, it is his choice how it is used.

I'm not arguing the decision of his father; it's his service to dictate.

Instead, I was pointing out that the OP did not provide enough detail to say that a Cap was imposed by his father. It sounded, to me at least, that he was attempting an alternative method to access the Internet, via his WiFi, when Verizon's Cap was met.

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 04:23 AM

Preventing a child from engaging in things he's interested in, if they are nonharmful activities, is bad.

:rolleyes:

JDShu
February 15th, 2012, 04:25 AM
:rolleyes:
:lolflag:

inobe
February 15th, 2012, 05:51 AM
and the saying goes on and on.........

use what works for you!

whether it be preference or forced upon, point being, it works.

it all revolves around common sense and intuition, conditions and circumstances.

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Actually No, I pay the Verizon (Wireless) Bill as I am 34 Years Old but I live with my parents due to a Mental Disorder and my Mom and Dad pay the Comcast Triple Play Bill (Cable Modem), Just to clarify things a little bit. They do allow me to Alpha/Beta Test Ubuntu but on My Verizon Wireless Moble Hotspot Only, Not With The Comcast High Speed Internet which is what I was caught doing on the wrong Computer, as I am suppposed to leave Mac OS X and Boot Camp on the Mac Only and only use the Dell's for Ubuntu Testing. Just FYI.

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 06:12 AM

I own the Verizon Wireless Connection, it's the Comcast Triple Play Connection that my mom and dad owns and my dad considers Linux Unsafe because he says that Iran, North Korea, And Cuba use it to attack the U.S. Defense Department etc. even though I keep telling him that the computers that got attacked were running WINDOWS! He still does not understand.

ubuntu27
February 15th, 2012, 06:18 AM
dad considers Linux Unsafe because he says that Iran, North Korea, And Cuba use it to attack the U.S. Defense Department etc.

Oh. Maybe your father read an "anti-Linux" website that is a SATIRE:

It reminds me of this particular article:

Is your son a computer hacker? (http://adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html)

One of the juicy part in that article:

Signs that your son is a Hacker:

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers.

Hahahahahahaha!

Primefalcon
February 15th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I own the Verizon Wireless Connection, it's the Comcast Triple Play Connection that my mom and dad owns and my dad considers Linux Unsafe because he says that Iran, North Korea, And Cuba use it to attack the U.S. Defense Department etc. even though I keep telling him that the computers that got attacked were running WINDOWS! He still does not understand.
why can't you just be a normal boy and use mac and stay away from tha weird thing called linux..... that linux is dangerous it makes people grow neckbeards....

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I am actually not a child, I am 34 Years Old by the way but I live with my parents due to a Mental Disorder and the fact that my only income is U.S.A. Government Assistance (I am on Social Security Disability and Medicare Parts A, B, and D). I also have a Medigap Insurance Policy as well that I have to pay for out of my own money so my parents provide for my food, clothing, and shelter. I did recently call Verizon and asked if I could get my 12 GB 4 $100 dollar data plan changed back to the unlimited plan that I used to have under the previous cell phone contract that I used to have with my 2010 Motorola Droid and they agreed to try to see if they could change it in the computer and it was successful but a side affect of my new unlimited plan @ $29.99 was that I had to pay an extra $20 for only 2GB's of a Personal Hotspot! Just FYI.

Nixarter
February 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM
It probably isn't that it is not safe. I am willing to bet that it is just because of the old "idle hands" rationale. They probably hear the stories of the people with a lot of time on their hands with mental disorders, like the guy with asperger's syndrome in the uk who the US is trying to extradite. They probably just fear that you will falal into the same boat. Too into computers = out of touch with society, in some peoples' eyes.

I've had parents come up to me on numerous occasions and ask me about things like that. They tend to tell them that it is because of some bs reason, like security, but they are too afraid to give their kids ideas if they say the real reason.

Regardless of the reason. If that's what they want, then there isn't really anything you can do. You can try an appeal to authority, and call someone that they know who knows about computers. If not, you may be screwed. It does suck, but many people are afraid of what they do not undestand.

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I'm not arguing the decision of his father; it's his service to dictate.

Instead, I was pointing out that the OP did not provide enough detail to say that a Cap was imposed by his father. It sounded, to me at least, that he was attempting an alternative method to access the Internet, via his WiFi, when Verizon's Cap was met.

The only WIFI we have in this house belongs to my Mom and Dad's Comcast Router other than the possibility of taking my 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 to McDonalds and updating the Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha there, I originally turned on Useage Controls Myself Because I was getting some Harassment Phone Calls From A Debt Collecter Saying That I Did Not Fully Pay My AT&T Early Termination Fees When The Truth Is That My Parents Fully Paid Them 4 Me By Check. I Was Also Continueously Going Over My Previous 12 GB 4 $100 Dollar Data Package Before They Restored My Unlimited Plan So I Turned On Useage Controls There As Well! Just FYI.

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 07:10 AM

That is Correct, my Parents Pay for the Comcast Triple Play and they do not allow me to use Ubuntu on their Ethernet Connection and they do Not share their WIFI Passwords for the Wireless Router with me that they use with the Cable Modem Connection. I am Allowed 2 use Ubuntu with my Verizon Wireless Connection but the amount that I can download recently changed quite a bit because I asked Verizon (Wireless) if they could change my 12 GB for $100 U.S.A. Data Plan back to the $29.99 Unlimited Plan that I used to have with my 2010 Motorola Droid Under My Previous Plan and They Agreed To Try And See If Their Computers Would Allow It, What I Did NOT Realize Was That Since I Had Already Turned On Data Useage Controls Due To The Fact That I Was Previously Always Going Over 12 GB On The Old Data Plan Is That With The Optional Personal Hotspot That You Get With The Old Unlimited Plan Only Provides You 2 GB's of Data for it, no more. And since I have all ready locked the controls to prevent myself from going over (considering the fact that each GB you go Over on the Personal Hotspot is $20 a GB) I am essentially locked out until March 8th, 2012 from the Personal Hotspot. Just FYI.

Hendronicus
February 15th, 2012, 07:16 AM
The solution is simple. get VirtualBox or whatever Mac uses for a VM and run Ubuntu in a VM. That way, if you Dad says anything, then tell him "I am running MacOS."

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
P.S. I usually do Not download the Nightly Builds and instead update using Sudo Apt-Get Update and Sudo Apt-Get Upgrade By The Way Just To Let You Guys Know, The Real Reason That I Used So Much Data This Month Was I Went Crazy Downloading Apps From The Apple IOS App Store By The Way. :-)

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 07:23 AM
The solution is simple. get VirtualBox or whatever Mac uses for a VM and run Ubuntu in a VM. That way, if you Dad says anything, then tell him "I am running MacOS."

I was running it on Virtual Box, my Dad happened to come Upstairs into my bedroom while it was open and I could NOT shut it down in enough time as this Mac running Lion only has 2GB's of Ram and I had 1 GB allocated to the Virtual Machine, it's a little slow at first but once you get the Virtual Machine Additions.ISO file Installed it runs A OK! :-)

Hendronicus
February 15th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear that it happened that way, but it's good to know Ubuntu runs well in VirtualBox. I've had people freak out when I've run my USB key Linux on their computers even though I was doing it to be sure that I didn't "mess up" their stuff. People are strange, you just have to deal with it.

nec207
February 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
May be it not Linux he is upset about but fact you are testing some thing or could be eating up the banwith is what the problem is over.

nec207
February 15th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Actually No, I pay the Verizon (Wireless) Bill as I am 34 Years Old but I live with my parents due to a Mental Disorder and my Mom and Dad pay the Comcast Triple Play Bill (Cable Modem), Just to clarify things a little bit. They do allow me to Alpha/Beta Test Ubuntu but on My Verizon Wireless Moble Hotspot Only, Not With The Comcast High Speed Internet which is what I was caught doing on the wrong Computer, as I am suppposed to leave Mac OS X and Boot Camp on the Mac Only and only use the Dell's for Ubuntu Testing. Just FYI.

If you are Beta testing some thing that could be the problem . You dad may not know what you are testing or he may be afraid you may be eating up the banwith.

BeRoot ReBoot
February 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM

How would your father feel about you talking behind his back like this? Show some respect, odds are you aren't even paying anything for that internet connection, correct?

KiwiNZ
February 15th, 2012, 09:50 AM
This is for the OP and his family to sort out.

Closed