PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] No more taskbar with Ubuntu

nuncio.bitis
February 15th, 2012, 01:01 AM
When I minimize a window with the new look & feel, the window is lost. I have to open a new application for the window. Is this supposed to happen? I thought minimize was supposed to put the program on a taskbar at the bottom of the screen?
I've been trying to get this functionality working again with both Unity and Gnome. Both GUIs have lost the bottom taskbar.

indianajo
February 15th, 2012, 03:01 AM
I asked this question two hours ago. At least you know the name of the function. Apparently everybody who counts knows and is bored with it.

Krytarik
February 15th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Apparently everybody who counts knows and is bored with it.
Yeah, you may be right. :P Here is one recent thread reg. that:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1923013

Hope that helps.

nuncio.bitis
February 15th, 2012, 10:24 PM
OK - Alt-Tab or Ctl-W
Whatever happened to a taskbar or launcher at the botton of the screen? I can't imagine someone taking away that kind of functionality on purpose!
You may as well just require people to open a terminal window and type "ps -ef" to show what windows might be running!

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Open applications have an indicator on the launcher panel in Unity . The window menu and taskbar are gone unless you are using Ubuntu Classic in 11.04 or Gnome Classic in 11.10 . The Gnome Shell has no taskbar either but can be added with an extension .

nuncio.bitis
February 16th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Where's the launcher panel? If you mean the top of the screen, there's only an infinity symbol there. Otherwise there's just icons on the desktop.

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM
The link may help with using Unity . http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/the-complete-guide-to-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot-review/

nuncio.bitis
February 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM
So how do you get a taskbar for gnome? What's it called? I seem to already have a gnome-panel running, although I can't find it using 'ps -ef'
If I try and start it, it says "there's seems to be one running already" and doesn't do anything.

nuncio.bitis
February 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I just found cairo-dock for gnome.
It's brilliant.