PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How Can I Find my Downloaded Ubuntu File?

computers101
February 14th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Hi,

Today I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu but I'm having a hard time finding the actual file to open and install it.

It took over an hour or so to download so I know it must be here somewhere.

There aren't any new icons on my desktop and I used Windows Search the best I could but it didn't turn up anything.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

23dornot23d
February 14th, 2012, 11:20 PM
look in your Downloads directory

Click on your Home ....

Look for the Folder

Downloads ...

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/381/downloads2.jpg

It should be in there ..... if you have not altered anything ..... when downloading

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks. The program you're showing looks to new me and I don't think I have that on my computer. I did a quick search for a downloads folder on my pc and I'm still working at this...

I just used windows and I think I directed the download to a file on my desktop that I labeled "Ubuntu". There were a couple of .iso files there that ended up in the recycled bin (by choice) that I have since restored.

Would you happen to know the name or type of file I should be looking for?

Thanks.

darkod
February 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
If you are talking about the image file, the type is .iso as you already mentioned.

The full name would be like ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso depending if it's the 32bit or 64bit image, and whether the version is 11.10.

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks. I have found these files that, when I open them, need a program associated with them in order to run.

I haven't had any luck with these yet but I'm still looking for the right ones...

ubuntu-11.10-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent
unbuntu-11.10-desltp[-amd64.iso.part

Before I delete these can you tell me if I might need them?

drmrgd
February 15th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Ok, so it looks like you're running Windows on a 64-bit computer and would like to install Ubuntu 64-bit. Is that correct?

One more question: do you want to keep Windows and add Ubuntu alongside, or do you just want to try Ubuntu out without really installing it?

The files you downloaded aren't quite right, as far as I can tell. What you want (assuming you need the 64-bit version...just grab the 32-bit if I assumed incorrectly) is located here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Once you get that .iso file, you need to create a bootable CD in order to either install or try the system. If you look at step 2 in the link I showed you, you'll find the instructions for that.

Once you've made the bootable CD (also known as the Live CD), you can reboot your computer and change it so that it will boot from your CD-ROM rather than your hard drive. This will allow you to either "Try It" (you can run the OS without actually installing anything to your system) or actually install Ubuntu on your computer.

Hope that clears it up for you!

darkod
February 15th, 2012, 12:54 AM
The .torrent is used to download the image file with a torrent software. You can also note the word "alternate" in the .torrent file name which means it will download the Alternate Install image, not the standard Desktop image that can run in live mode. With the alternate you can also install the desktop OS but the installer is text based, not GUI.

The .part file seems to be download that hasn't finished. That's why it has .part at the end. Until it finishes it can't be used.

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks. I did another search just after my last post and I've now decided to download the program again.

I'll use the link you sent and follow the steps you mentioned.

I am actually going to just try the program out for now so hopefully I'll be able to get the program running.

Thank you for helping me out...Gonna go catch the Bruins vs Rangers game now.

Go Bruins :)

p.s. I'll be back on my pc during the 1st period intermission and start another download...

mastablasta
February 15th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I am actually going to just try the program out for now so hopefully I'll be able to get the program running.

It's not really a porgramme it's an operating system like for example windows or MacOS. It is used to run other programmes and many come already preinstalled with the desktop version.

as mentioned unlike windows it has a live (try it) version where the whole operating system loads into RAM memorry. this leaves you hard disk intact. additionally due to this awesome feature the CD can be used to: repair hard disk, maipulate hard disk, repair operating system that is on hard disk (to a various degree), backup or clone hard disk data... etc. it can even restore lost files.

Linux comes in various shapes (one of them is Ubuntu) and there are also forensic versions of the OS that can be used to troubleshoot, (ethically) hack systems, recover data etc.

Ubuntu though is focused on desktop experience (for businesses as well) or server (web servers, media server, home server....). and all this is free (as in libre and as in free beer).

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. I re-downloaded but still seem to have a problem.

I downloaded Ubuntu 64-bit again last night and when I open the file below it opens up a CD burning program called "Express Burn. However, there is nothing there to burn.

This is the file that downloaded to my Ubuntu folder that I created on my desktop.

ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64

It says the file is 697MB.

Aside from clicking on it and having express burn open up, does anyone know of a way to open the program so I can burn it to CD?

The idea of course is so I could place the CD in my laptop's CD drive and launch the program.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

*at present I right-clicked the file and I'm burning the file to disk. Not sure what's going to happen. I didn't open the file or anything - just send it to a blank disc.

*I should add that my laptop, the computer I would like to use Ubuntu with, has a technical issue that I'm hoping this program can help resolve.

On start-up the screen is black and only shows a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I heard Ubuntu can be launched in this type of situation, allowing one to bypass the original OS.

drmrgd
February 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Please have a look at the link I gave you a few posts ago, and follow step 2. You just have to click the button to either install to a USB or CD (CD in your case I think), and what operating system you currently have (Windows I guess), and then click the big "Show me How" button. There you'll get step by step instructions on how to make a bootable Live CD of the Ubuntu .iso file you just downloaded.

If you get stuck along the way, feel free to tell us where you're having problems.

darkod
February 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
You usually need to use a program to burn a CD from that image you downloaded. Not just burn the iso file to the CD, but instead burn a CD from the image.

If you don't have any other burning software (what do you use for burning CDs on windows? ) you can download the free ImgBurn. Look for it on google.

Only when you burn a CD from the image it will be bootable and useful as install cd.

lisati
February 15th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Thank you everyone. After taking and using everyone's advice I managed to find the problem. It was much simpler that expected.

Through Lisati's link to a how to page there it described how the file just can't be dropped into a CD burning program (iso files are more complicated). I have a program from Sony called Drag'n Drop CD+DVD that came with my computer. Needless to say, it didn't work.

I went back to the "Express Burn" program and realized my mistake in loading the file to be burned. When the program opened up when I clicked the downloaded ubuntu file it needed a file to burn. When I tried to add the file within the program it didn't work because it was in the audio tab by default.

When I clicked the tab "data" the file appeared right away (actually I needed to go to the folder and select it) and I was able to burn it from there.

So, as I type this my laptop screen displayed a nice purple background as the program gets underway...I'll come back and give a report :)

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just an update to this thread...

I was able to install and run Ubuntu successfully. Thank you everyone for your help.

I discovered Ubuntu by trying to solve a windows problem and I may be hooked.

Everyone has been helpful in my thread and my first impression of the OS is great.

Thank you :)

darkod
February 15th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Glad you got it going and you like it. Please mark the thread as Solved. You can do this in Thread Tools above the first post.

computers101
February 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks. Going to do that now.

Thanks again.