PDA

View Full Version : Windows Users: When Win8 Comes out what will you use?

Rafterman414
February 14th, 2012, 04:46 PM
With Windows 8 coming in the near future I am just trying to see who among us that still uses Windows will be moving to Windows 8, or what they will be using other then that?

And I apologize in the poll for typing arrive instead of arrives... can you edit the title of the poll?

leclerc65
February 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I stick with XP until I can't, after that, Win 7. I just need it for the following tasks: open some of the documents (that Ubuntu give up), printing, scanning and GPS interfaces. I don't own a smartphone or tablet, if I do, it won't be a Win 8 one.

Linuxratty
February 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I stick with XP until I can't.

I have a friend and he plans to keep using XP until he can't as well. So,I'd think for several years after support is long gone,he will use it.

Simian Man
February 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
All I really use Windows for is playing games. So I generally just use whatever version the computer came with and leave it at that. I won't bother upgrading the machine I have, but when I buy a new one, I won't attempt to downgrade either.

cprofitt
February 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Ah.... my choice is not on the list.

CharlesA
February 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Fixed the poll and added an "other" option.

Frogs Hair
February 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Unless Win 8 meets a need that Win 7 doesn't I won't purchase it . I am a bit worried about the possibility of not being able to dual boot with Win 8 also.

PaulW2U
February 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I'll carry on using XP, Vista and 7 for as long as I can on my netbook and my two laptops.

When XP is support is finally withdrawn in 2014(?) I'll try to put Ubuntu or one of its near relatives onto my Samsung netbook but I know getting it fully working won't be easy as I've already tried. :(

That's why XP is still on it!

Rafterman414
February 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for fixing the title and adding that other option. What is the other that some people choose? I guess I could have included Windows Server Editions and Windows 2000 and what not in there. I should have put Windows 98 on there also since I have an old ThinkPad that I sometimes use to play old games on.

Dave_L
February 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM
The most recent Windows I have is Win2K, and I haven't used that for months.

Rafterman414
February 14th, 2012, 07:46 PM
All I really use Windows for is playing games. So I generally just use whatever version the computer came with and leave it at that. I won't bother upgrading the machine I have, but when I buy a new one, I won't attempt to downgrade either.

Same here, if it was not for games I would dump Windows in a heart beat.

Dave_L
February 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Same here, if it was not for games I would dump Windows in a heart beat.

Aren't AisleRiot Solitaire and Supertuxcart enough for you? :p

donkyhotay
February 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM
ah.... My choice is not on the list.

+1

keithpeter
February 14th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hello All

I voted 'other' as the only place I use Windows now is on work computers, or on the work 'home access' (Citrix). So it all depends on the IT support crew and what they want to roll out when.

Cheers

forrestcupp
February 14th, 2012, 10:20 PM
For Windows, I'll stick with Windows 7 until it's obsolete. I don't like the looks of Windows 8 at all for desktops and laptops. I'm not going to jump on that bandwagon.

But I'm enjoying Gnome Shell a lot right now.

Markg55
February 14th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Sure I will give it a go. Never had a problem with Win7 either. I will probably stick to Win 7 for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Been playing that sim in one form or another since my Commodore C64 days. Sub-Logic was the publisher at the time.
Ah C64.....loading....loading....loading

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
February 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM
if i can get it free via my schools msdn thing i will get but, it as for installing it well very unlikely that will happen unless i have to use windows for a firmware upgrade or something like that
may slap it into a virtual box to point and laugh if i get really board

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 15th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I only use Microsoft Windows is because of the company I work for. The company hasn't completed upgrading all computers from Windows XP to Windows 7. Considering how much the IT people like the Windows 8 user interface, it will be tied up in testing until something more friendly to the system administrators comes out :)

Copper Bezel
February 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I only use Windows at work as well, and I don't really mind the look of the Windows 8 interface, but I really doubt it's going to be picked up as broadly as Windows 7 was, and it still looks to have some practical limitations. Really, I just doubt that I'm even going to encounter it in the next couple of years. And whatever the form factor of any future kit I pick up myself, it'll either be running Ubuntu with Gnome Shell or Android. But of course, I'm not a Windows home user (so I didn't vote in the poll.) If I did use Windows at home, I imagine I'd be interested in getting into the latest and greatest, even if I ended up forced to use the "desktop" mode most of the time due to the limitations on the Windows store.

click4851
February 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I'll use Win7 for the same reason I'm not using Unity/HUD, I'm not relearning how to use my computer.

kevpan815
February 15th, 2012, 01:49 AM
With Windows 8 coming in the near future I am just trying to see who among us that still uses Windows will be moving to Windows 8, or what they will be using other then that?

And I apologize in the poll for typing arrive instead of arrives... can you edit the title of the poll?

Most likely I will be staying with my current setup of Mac OS X Lion on my Mac and I will use Ubuntu on the rest of my computers as I am starting to dislike how expensive Windows is considering the fact that I got Mac OS X Lion free of charge for helping to Alpha/Beta Test it (Apple Developer Program), and the fact that Ubuntu is free of charge. Just FYI. :-)

Mikeb85
February 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I'm currently using Windows 8 developer preview, and it's actually decent. It runs better than any version of Windows I've used before, minus the Metro nonsense. So I'll probably use it when it is released, just for my Windows needs (games and iTunes for the girlfriend), I've got XP and Vista licenses right now and they both suck. My main OS will be the latest Ubuntu though.

cariboo
February 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I currently have the Win 8 developer preview installed, but the last time I booted into it was to change the setup on my Harmony remote back in November when I got a new stereo system.

Megaptera
February 15th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Ubuntu will stay all alone on this Dell laptop.

The family PC is creaking along with XP on it, and that's what we'll keep going 'til it finally expires, then whatever Windows comes pre-installed from PC World or similar. Unless we can by that time find a desktop with Ubuntu pre-installed!!

szymon_g
February 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM
it depends: if my soundcard (creative xi-fi xtramegamer) will work decently on windows 8 (it works sometimes on drivers for win 7- but it was really buggy), than i'll get it on my desktop- and i'll keep windows 7 on laptop (or i'll give it to my girlfriend).
If not- i'll wait with it till i'll get a new soundcard (not really keen on it tbh).
anyway- windows 8 looks decent (and i'm not talking about metro ui), it worked fine as developper preview (apart from sound-related problems and a couple others- but it was an alpha after all).
And OP should make a pool- about how quick after release of beta version (29 of Feb), usage of windows 8 will be higher than usage of linux on desktop ;)

kurt18947
February 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Win 7 Pro is supported 'til 2020 which is long after 21 Dec. 2012 so Win 7 Pro for my Windows needs it is :D.

szymon_g
February 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Win 7 Pro is supported 'til 2020 which is long after 21 Dec. 2012 so Win 7 Pro for my Windows needs it is :D.

thats a shame that Ultimate version will not have as long support as less featured pro version /sure, a lot of those features found on ultimate are useless for home users/ :|

eriktheblu
February 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I've got 7 on a netbook for audio recording (uses Ubuntu for all other functions). I will replace the computer before I replace it's pre-installed OS.

I have Win2K in virtualbox. It's only started for filling out forms and websites that only work in IE. The forms issue is currently being worked, and the IE only sites are slowly disappearing. 2K should last me until then.

At work I use Vista. We adopted XP around 2004, and Vista about 2010. I suspect we will upgrade to 8 about a year after 9 comes out (probably be retired by then).

KingYaba
February 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Windows 7. Windows 8 looks unimpressive.

Dry Lips
February 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I've got a copy of XP, (plus Win8 developer preview installed in virtualbox). When the beta is released I'll probably check it out. But I won't actually invest in a new version of windows since I only use it sporadically. XP all the way!

cwklinuxguy
February 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I am a bit worried about the possibility of not being able to dual boot with Win 8 also.

To my knowledge, the Windows 8 anti-dual-booting...thing will only be an issue if you are buying a computer that comes with Windows 8 ON IT. Upgrading cannot do it, because Windows can't replace your BIOS with an EUFI (which is the technology that would make secure boot be an issue in the first place). I say we just rebel and start making all our own boxes when that happens. We can make Linux-only computer brands where anyone who wants to use Linux just buys from us and the regular OEMs lose tons of cash :guitar:

neu5eeCh
February 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Windows 7. Can't see a single advantage, not one, to using Windows 8. But... if I need to buy a new computer, then I'll use 8 so long as I can dual boot. Similarly, I'll be using Xubuntu with 12.04. I can't see a single advantage to using Unity. Not one. Unity gives me nothing and is less efficient than XFCE. In my view, the only reason to switch to a new OS (or paradigm therein) is if the computer is made easier to use.

LillyDragon
February 16th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Jeez, I just got Windows 7 and a preview build of version 8 is already out? Don't even know how that ARM support is going to work out for tablets either; I'd rather they spent more time ironing out the more than 100,000 dirt-old bugs in the kernel. What's even the point in having Windows if previous software compiled for x86 or x64 platforms won't run on it? It's not even the same OS anymore to me; I honestly wouldn't even be using Windows if it weren't for the software I have right now.

Doesn't change a thing on the desktop, compatibility-wise though, so I don't even care, really. The new desktop is a "meh" to me; MS changing the taskbar's look in Win7 was drastic enough for me; don't even want to imagine what it'd be like without the taskbar being present at all!

tl;dr, I'm sticking with Windows 7, but I might give the preview build of version 8 a whirl inside a virtual machine, if not for novelty's sake. :P

robsoles
February 16th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Short answer: Not Windows 8.

Like Vista this one they will release and I won't really look at it (it certainly won't get near any of my computers, not even in a VM, same as Vista) until somebody breaks it and seriously expects me to fix it for them.

Took the first person I know that installed Vista a couple of days from installing it to need me to fix something about it for them - I expect MS are managing a little better now and I might not even have to bother with the 8 stuff.

NikoC
February 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
For me the question is: will I stay with Ubuntu if Kubuntu is no longer maintained?

Paqman
February 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I still use Win XP as my platform for Windows gaming. Seems to still be working well, but support will run out in 2014, so I'll have to upgrade to something else then. Which may well be Win 8. I don't really care what version it is, as long as I can boot it up and launch whatever game I want to play.

BeRoot ReBoot
February 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM
For me the question is: will I stay with Ubuntu if Kubuntu is no longer maintained?

It's still being maintained and developed (Like Edubuntu, Lubunxu and Xubuntu), Canonical is just no longer throwing their money at them.

TeamRocket1233c
February 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Don't think I'll be able to, although I'll most likely be using #! on my PC and Vista on the house PC.