PDA

View Full Version : whats in your hosts file?

chickenPie4breakfast
February 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM
As a new linux user I was wondering what you have in your hosts file.
I know on windows I had dozens of sites to block in there

Gremlinzzz
February 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
The hosts file is one of several system facilities that assists in addressing network nodes in a computer network. It is a common part of an operating system's Internet Protocol (IP) implementation, and serves the function of translating human-friendly hostnames into numeric protocol addresses, called IP addresses, that identify and locate a host in an IP network.

In some operating systems, the hosts file content is used preferentially over other methods, such as the Domain Name System (DNS), but many systems implement name service switches (e.g., nsswitch.conf) to provide customization. Unlike the DNS, the hosts file is under the direct control of the local computer's administrator.[1]:popcorn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

yetiman64
February 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM
As a new linux user I was wondering what you have in your hosts file.
I know on windows I had dozens of sites to block in there
In my windows xp and vista installs spybot had literally thousands of entries in the hosts files. Never have I seen anything but the stock file in my use of Ubuntu.

Only thing I've used /etc/hosts for is in changing my hostname of the system. It's one of two files that get altered.
Stock standard but for my actual hostname censored.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 **************
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

Jesus_Valdez
February 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
The usual blocking of ads sites and facebook.

that way I'm not tempeting to waste time while I'm working.

cariboo
February 15th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I use my host file for aliasing host names to ip addresses to access other computers on my network by name, and not ip address. I use my router to block access to web sites.