PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 laptop as hotspot

tinkerist
February 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM
i'm trying to use my laptop as a hotspot for my wife's computer and my wii. i've gone through creating a new wireless network and all that. my other devices don't see the wifi signal from my laptop. i've tried all the various security options in hopes that that would fix it, but to no avail. am i missing something?

tinkerist
February 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM
bipptiy boppity bump.

tinkerist
February 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM

RebateFX
February 17th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I have the same problem. I have followed so many guides on this yet none of my devices running windows, linux or android can see my hotspot.

ahallubuntu
February 17th, 2012, 01:38 AM
When I tried Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome 3, I noticed it had a "create a Hotspot" built in. I had two WiFi cards plugged in - I assume you'd need two to do it, unless your laptop is wired to a network. You can buy a little USB WiFi dongle for $6 on eBay - I have a couple and they work pretty well after some configuration.

I haven't played with how to do this in Ubuntu 11.04, though.

But why not just buy a Wireless Router? They can be had on sale often for under $20 USD. The biggest reason I can see for needing a portable one is when you travel and want to share WiFi with several people or share files at a business meeting securely, at Starbucks or something...