PDA

View Full Version : Class Survey

card_ace
February 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hey all, my entrepreneurship group needs help for a class project! All you have to do is take this quick five question survey. It'll only take a minute or two of your time. Thanks for any and all responses!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M6ZFY9B

drawkcab
February 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Electrified glass used to be common in vehicles marketed up north.

card_ace
February 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
you're the first person i've heard that has actually heard of that. they do the wires in the back, but we were never able to find stuff about the front windshield. plus we're just trying to make something universal to nearly all vehicles.

thanks for the added input!

androssofer
February 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM
you're the first person i've heard that has actually heard of that. they do the wires in the back, but we were never able to find stuff about the front windshield. plus we're just trying to make something universal to nearly all vehicles.

thanks for the added input!

ford owns a patent for front window wired heating..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickclear

card_ace
February 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
awesome, thanks for the link!

LowSky
February 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I don't see this device as safe. If it sits over the vent (which are made of plastic or vinyl) wouldn't heat be a concern? How would it mount? Depending on the car model dashboards differ greatly some cars have very angled windshields that could cause a problem.

Also remote start is not a viable option for manual transmission vehicles. Yes it can be added (usually illegally) but it can be very dangerous as you have to bypass the clutch (has to be pressed down in normal operation) and some people leave their car in-gear, which can cause a serious accident.

I will just stick to my own method on those cold mornings. Start car, let car sit 10-15 minutes, scrape ice off, if it wont come off I hot pitcher of water with a tablespoon of salt and then rinse the windshield. Yes I know salt is bad for cars. but when the road is covered in it you tend to not car if a small amount crosses your windshield.

card_ace
February 15th, 2012, 02:09 AM
the plan is that it sits high enough above the dash and only provide very low levels of heat to not cause heat damage to it, while the heat that is produced is pushed upward onto the windshield instead of being allowed to hurt the vehicle. As for the mounting, we thought of a temporary adhesive that wouldn't damage the dash of the vehicle but could still be removed.

As for the remote start thing, that was really only included because there were several people in our class that said it was pointless because of remote start being available now. I have remote start on my car, it's nice. What we're trying to do is just get the heat flowing faster.

In the end, this product may not survive the semester and die once we turn in our final. The criticism does help because then we can work to improve any concerns potential customers may have. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

wirepuller134
February 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
We used to own a Dodge 1 ton van, in another life time. It had a small device that attached to the heater hose. It was a gas burning heater that would either turn on with a remote or by timer. When it would turn on and lit, it would start circulating water through the engine. when the return water was up to temperature it would then turn on the defroster. It came on the van, so no idea who made it or where it was from. But it did work well.