PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Are Still Using 10.04 Netbook Edition?

cbanakis
February 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I was just wondering if I am alone.

So far...

Me
My Finance
My Sister In Law
My Best Friend
My Brother In Law
And 2 Co-Workers

Have all declined to upgrade our net-books beyond 10.04, because we don't want to lose Net-Book Remix.
(Everyone else I know, uses windows, or mac)

I prefer Gnome Classic for my desktop, and NBR for my net-book.

Everyone I know who uses linux, either uses Unity, or Classic for their desktop.

But they all want NBR on their net-books.

In my opinion, NRB is the single greatest GUI EVER (for net-books)

So is it just me, and everyone I know?

Or is their a general demand for Net-Book Remix?

drawkcab
February 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I was a huge 10.04 NBR fan and I'm sorry that unity displaced how NBR organized app menus.

On the other hand, I've moved away from 10.04. I've recently been using Mint Debian Edition and Crunchbang on my netbook. Debian-based distros seem to run more efficiently on my n270.

netJackDaw
February 14th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Still running 10.04 NBR on my EeePC 701. Don't know what I will do when updates run out. Maybe that machines has done its duty.

mikewhatever
February 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Me too. ;)

Slug71
February 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Using it right now on my Aspire One. :)

Will probably switch to 12.04 when its released though.

Dave_L
February 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I'm still using it.

Paqman
February 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
My wife still uses it on her netbook, mainly because I just want to keep her on the LTS to simplify things for me. She'll be getting upgraded to 12.04 when it comes out, as will my netbook (which is currently 11.10)

I've used Unity and all the various incarnations of the netbook remix, and I definitely prefer Unity. It's a great interface for small wide screens.

drawkcab
February 14th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I've noticed that unity, gnome shell and kde are all pretty sluggish on the old n270 platforms. Hell, they're sluggish on the 330 dual-core ion box too.

Paqman
February 15th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I've noticed that unity, gnome shell and kde are all pretty sluggish on the old n270 platforms. Hell, they're sluggish on the 330 dual-core ion box too.

Unity-2D goes well on my EeePC, but I wouldn't bother with any of the 3D desktops. Especially lardy old KDE.

Tiler
February 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I just backed up and have passed from 10.04 to Maverick for a week and just now in the middle of upgrading to 11.04.

EeePc 1000

Kantis
February 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I foolishly upgraded without taking the time to find out about things, and was surprised and disappointed to lose the Netbook Remix. However, I've since learnt to live with Unity. It does indeed suit a small wide screen.

Lightstar
February 19th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Still running 10.04 NBR on my EeePC 701. Don't know what I will do when updates run out. Maybe that machines has done its duty.

Ah yes, I was doing the same. Unity doesn't fit on the screen :(

I switched to Bodhi Linux for the moment.

ulfj
February 19th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I just picked up a netbook being that I "washed" my lappy (Actually it was drenched by propelene glycol at work) and installed 11.10 which works like a champ on this Aspire one although some things don't seem to fit on the screen but that may be just me. So no not using 10.04 on this.

drawkcab
February 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I just installed xubuntu 11.10 and I'm already hankering for openbox or lxde.

Paul T.
February 20th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Previously I was using 10:04LTS on my EeePC904 which worked fine, albeit a little slow at times, hadn't heard about NBR until I read this thread. Surprisingly I was still able to download the ISO and have done a clean install on my netbook and I love it.
Lovely clean, easy to use interface (much more intuitive than the new Unity) and worked perfectly "out of the box". Many thanks for starting this thread. :D

ojdon
February 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Love UNE 10.04 on my Acer Aspire One A150/ZG5. Shame netbook-launcher-efl isn't available for Oneiric or Precise.

kambi
February 21st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hi , I `ve bought ASUS x101h netbook , and installed win 7 Ultimate on it and my hard disk crashed ! The 2nd time I did it and again it got bad sectors !!!!
The guarantee technician told me its my fault and it cannot support Win7 ultimate and linux ubuntu. so my hard disk is out of guarantee now and I want to know its safe to install Netbook edition?
Anybody had my problem? And also does it make sense? :confused:
Thank you.

cbanakis
February 21st, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hi , I `ve bought ASUS x101h netbook , and installed win 7 Ultimate on it and my hard disk crashed ! The 2nd time I did it and again it got bad sectors !!!!
The guarantee technician told me its my fault and it cannot support Win7 ultimate and linux ubuntu. so my hard disk is out of guarantee now and I want to know its safe to install Netbook edition?
Anybody had my problem? And also does it make sense? :confused:
Thank you.

The guy you spoke to is FULL OF BS!!!

You cannot void a hardware warranty by using the wrong software.

All a hard drive does, is store information.

What information you choose to store on it is irrelevant!

And yes, as far as your hard drive is concerned, all Ubuntu, Windows, or anything else is, is information. (It all looks the same when its written in 1's and 0's)

Maybe the hardware is not good enough to run certain software, but to say your hard drive warranty is void because you tried to install an un-supported OS complete BS.

This falls under the same lines as people thinking a virus can break your computer.
This too is un-true.

A virus can screw up your software, and possibly your firmware, but the only way a virus could possibly harm your hardware would maybe, and I want to stress maybe, a virus could fool your bios into thinking your processor is running cooler than it actually is, causing it to overheat, possibly damaging the chip.

But 99.99% of the time, the worst case scenario with a virus, is that you will lose saved documents, personal information can be compromised, and you would need to erase your hard drive and re-install all your software.

This same principal should also explain how the guy you talked to is full of Sh*t.

If the hard drive has bad sectors, or fails all together, the blame can only be placed on the manufacturer.

Primefalcon
February 22nd, 2012, 04:17 AM
Still using the remix on our Netbook, I'll only upgrade when support is completely over since the remix was a great UI for netbooks

mje72571
February 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I WAS using 10.04 until I screwed up an install of software and unistalled my network packages. Now I can't find NBR or 10.04 netbook version anywhere? Anyone have any ideas where to find an image???

Warpnow
February 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
You could get netbook-launcher to work in 11.10, it would just be a bit problematic because of all the GTK-2 dependencies.

A better option is to throw support behind a project like LxLauncher which is still in the repositories. You could use with any DE fine, its not exclusive to LXDE. Its themed really poorly by default though.

Robynsveil
February 27th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I WAS using 10.04 until I screwed up an install of software and unistalled my network packages. Now I can't find NBR or 10.04 netbook version anywhere? Anyone have any ideas where to find an image???

Well, here's 10.10 NE

http://www.ubunut.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

cbanakis
February 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Well, here's 10.10 NE

http://www.ubunut.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

10.10 is NOT Netbook Remix.
10.10 Netbook Edition is the first appearance of Unity.

10.04 is the last official release of Netbook Remix.

And apparently it has been erased from existence.

I did manage to find a torrent on piratebay.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5597159/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

I also have the iso, and I'm sure many others on this thread do too.

So if you need it, and the torrent wont work for you, I'm sure we can get you a copy.

Dragonbite
February 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I know somebody still running 10.04 Netbook edition on his Dell Mini9.

ojdon
February 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM
There is Netbook-launcher-efl (https://launchpad.net/launch-lite-proj). Which was the equivalent to Unity 2D. But there was never Oneiric packages, Natty was the last supported one...

I'm assuming it's because of the GTK2 usage? Or is that not the case for the efl version? I would of loved to see this in Precise!!

Robynsveil
February 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
10.10 is NOT Netbook Remix.
10.10 Netbook Edition is the first appearance of Unity.

10.04 is the last official release of Netbook Remix.

And apparently it has been erased from existence.

I did manage to find a torrent on piratebay.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5597159/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

I also have the iso, and I'm sure many others on this thread do too.

So if you need it, and the torrent wont work for you, I'm sure we can get you a copy.

Wonder why Canonical would do that? They have all the versions and flavours back to forever... didn't they want to support this?

cbanakis
February 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wonder why Canonical would do that? They have all the versions and flavours back to forever... didn't they want to support this?

I have no idea.

Its possible that its there, and I just couldn't find it, but I just downloaded it a few months ago, and did not have any trouble finding it.

Weird.

Maybe there is a secret society, conspiring to get everyone to use Unity?

Not sure who would benefit from that though?

Unless...

Maybe Ubuntu was getting too good, so Microsoft and Apple payed Canonical to make it worse?

LOL

Robynsveil
February 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have no idea.

Its possible that its there, and I just couldn't find it, but I just downloaded it a few months ago, and did not have any trouble finding it.

Weird.

Maybe there is a secret society, conspiring to get everyone to use Unity?

Not sure who would benefit from that though?

Unless...

Maybe Ubuntu was getting too good, so Microsoft and Apple payed Canonical to make it worse?

LOL

Interestingly, I unwittingly installed L-Lynx 10.04 LTS on my netbook thinking I was installing this netbook remix (thanks for the link: downloading now). Even with the Macbuntu desktop, it's heaps snappier than Win7 Starter. So, I might just leave it - it's running fine. :)

cbanakis
February 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I started a new thread, in an effort to figure out what the heck happened to Net-Book Remix...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11723169#post11723169

Maybe the person or group who made Netbook-Launcher is suing Canonical for some reason?

Seems very strange that I can still download 4.10, but not 10.04 Netbook Remix.

Robynsveil
February 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I started a new thread, in an effort to figure out what the heck happened to Net-Book Remix...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11723169#post11723169

Maybe the person or group who made Netbook-Launcher is suing Canonical for some reason?

Seems very strange that I can still download 4.10, but not 10.04 Netbook Remix.
Subscribed. Thanks.

Thing is: people trying to install this from a thumb-drive (USB) were running into dramas - typing help appeared to get the install happening, finally. Once I sorted why my Toshiba netbook wasn't even *seeing* my USB as a drive (updated the BIOS, and it was all good) the 10.04 LTS desktop installed itself, almost (well, after defragging Win7 and creating some empty space and everything)...

leclerc65
February 27th, 2012, 11:56 PM
My b.i.l.
It's so stable that I haven't heard requests for support from him anymore. I myself wouldn't touch that interface.