PDA

View Full Version : Google Discussion search?

darsu
February 13th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Does anyone here know what's happened to the "discussions" search option in Google? Its signal-to-noise ratio was superb compared to the regular search. In recent months it started to appear and disappear in the category menu depending on which browser, google.* domain, language and useragent string I had, but now I can't get it with any trick. Even manually adding &tbm=dsc to the search URL does nothing.

I'm beside myself. If it's gone for good, do you have any tips to recreate its functionality beyond kludges like "inurl:forum" or "+phpbb"?

samalex
February 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here know what's happened to the "discussions" search option in Google? Its signal-to-noise ratio was superb compared to the regular search. In recent months it started to appear and disappear in the category menu depending on which browser, google.* domain, language and useragent string I had, but now I can't get it with any trick. Even manually adding &tbm=dsc to the search URL does nothing.

I'm beside myself. If it's gone for good, do you have any tips to recreate its functionality beyond kludges like "inurl:forum" or "+phpbb"?

I think they're using http://groups.google.com for everything now.

Sam

darsu
February 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Whoa. Thank you kindly!

josephmills
February 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hi,

google hacking ?

inurl: search in the url
intext: search in the text field
insite: look at only this site
filetype: Only look for this type of file
allinurl: sounds like it is

more info can also be found here http://www.hackersforcharity.org/ghdb/

hope that this helps

jago25_98
December 30th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Devestated if this goes - it was extremely useful - much better than Google Groups of course, completely different

I've noticed it depends whether you are logged in sometimes too.

Thanks for the inurl kludge tip :-)

Let's keep an eye on this. Hopefully a competitor will offer the feature.