PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your favored hardware raid manufacturer please :)

robsoles
February 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I tire of the rigmarole that rubbish mobo (falseraid) raid and dmraid will put me through whenever a drive fails here - Motherboard doesn't mark new drive (or raid-set) correctly and dmraid won't rebuild that way, finally get mobo to mark drive correctly and is rebuilding and think to myself "I had to convince the BIOS rubbish to mark this drive, then I had to re-write a quarter of my fstab, then I had to repeat and try harder to get BIOS to mark the drive, then finally it was rebuilding??? Ouch.

Can anyone recommend a good and painfree hardware raid controller?

(I feel confident that I could easily get myself a bunch of (unusable/undesirable) spare hardware raid controllers if I just consult Google and don't spend long enough identifying "valid" reviews etc..)

robsoles
February 14th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I see you made a hot topic here Bob, well done :roll: :sigh:

Thought I would come back and post the one I hate the least so far (from Googling).

RocketRaid 620
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/cs-series_rr600.htm

Will anybody speak up to say they hate or love that one? I can have one for $109.-AUD I am told.

kevdog
February 14th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Ive used 3ware controllers -- they make linux drivers -- but they are rather expensive. Their support department however is great!!

robsoles
February 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks kevdog.

I wish I had not used the word manufacturer, I realise it as a mistake now. I would sincerely love recommendations of specific devices from these mobs and it was dumb of me not to specify my intended application :roll:

Raid1, two drives, hot swap happy, 3Gb/s capa (don't mind 6Gb/s but seems to make price silly) and voted as very reliable by a sensible group of voters somewhere ;)

I am after two * 3.5" quick change internal caddies, if the controller card I land on has indicator LED connectors (particularly for fail) then I will jolly well add the LED to a $17.- one before I pay much more for between one to three more 3.5" bays than I want or go external on this project - I can find the $17.- one but I would argue the point with my accountant up to $25.- for one that saves me the bother of ratting the LED, finding a bezel, drilling my new caddy, etc etc...