PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] no software after install

stormbay
February 13th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I've downloaded the new Ubuntu studio and installed it. However during installation I was only able to choose one form of software (video) to install, unlike in previous distributions where you could choose as many as you liked this time it didnlt work.

However it appears there's no software installed, so can someone tell me if I can use to the live DVD and try to install it from there, instead of downloading the lot of the net. I have a very limited download banwidth and almost 2 gig takes away half my monthly quota. Thanks

jejeman
February 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Well, never done it my self, but you can turn off internet connection, set dvd as repository in synaptic and install software you need.

stormbay
February 13th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks now I've discovered I can't access studio at all. So I re-installed it and the same thing happened, it rebooted to studio but when I tried to get in from grub, it says no such file. From what's I've read on the net, there seems lots of trouble with this distrobution, so I will ditch it and use something else until the bugs are worked out.

jejeman
February 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Maybe you have bad dvd.
Test it for errors.

stormbay
February 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Tested it for errors, midsum check but to no avail it installs, reboots once then not even a grub menu. When I reload grub, no studio just Mint 12, yet I can access the file system through Mint.

jejeman
February 15th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Tested it for errors, midsum check but to no avail it installs, reboots once then not even a grub menu. When I reload grub, no studio just Mint 12, yet I can access the file system through Mint.
Is that grub from mint? When you update-grub in mint does it shows?
are there any kernels installed?

sgx
February 16th, 2012, 03:49 AM
You can use synaptic in Mint to install just the audio/video apps you like, as you confirm they are of benefit. Actually a better choice for some folks, so you don't waste a gig on things you'll never use.

Look for various linux magazines hosting dvds with the iso files, to save
on bandwidth. Bodhi linux has some ubuntu underpinnings, is less than
400 meg, and does well when audio apps are added to it.
Cheers

stormbay
February 16th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Is that grub from mint? When you update-grub in mint does it shows?
are there any kernels installed?

Had to use puppy to reload grub and legacy didnlt work, but with grub dos, both mint and U studio are shown in the boot menu, mint boots and studio just says no such file when it tries to boot. If I can't get into it without reinstalling, no use trying to load software. I would like to fix it instead of finding some other mutlti media dedicated distro.

Thanks,