PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] custom distro

Pete Griffin
February 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I am looking for a little guidance re: custom distro.
I have:

Ubuntu V.10 LTS
Installed UCK, Docky
Have created a new distro which includes Docky, latest updates, this all works as advertised.

I have created what I call a standard config desktop for roll out. I would like to include, in the distro, all configuration that I have done on my desktop. ie. my Docky settings, any user accounts that I have created, wallpaper........ so that roll out is easier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jerrrys
February 12th, 2012, 05:16 PM
A place to start

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=custom+iso&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

Megaptera
February 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
and also don't overlook Remastersys ..." Remastersys is a tool that can be used to do 2 things with an existing Debian, Ubuntu or derivative installation.
It can make a full system backup including personal data to a live cd or dvd that you can use anywhere and install. It can make a distributable copy you can share with friends. This will not have any of your personal user data in it."
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

Pete Griffin
February 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I ran Remastersys, it is straight forward to use. The one issue that I ran into was when I took the image to another hardware configuration I kept getting an incompatible hardware error.

Being a newby I am not very comfortable with command line instructions, but I guess this is the opportunity to learn, UCK and command line seems to be the way to go.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I ran Remastersys, it is straight forward to use. The one issue that I ran into was when I took the image to another hardware configuration I kept getting an incompatible hardware error.

Did you maybe use some proprietary drivers on the system you remastered? or some special settings?
if you did, then remove those and remaster it again. usign opensource ones should make it more compatible with other PC configurations.

Pete Griffin
February 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I believe that it is a processor issue. My dev system is an AMD and target is P4 laptop. According to some blogs this is an issue for neophytes like myself.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
well 64bit OS won't fit onto a maschine with 32bit CPU, but a 32bit OS will fit on a maschine with 64bit CPU ;-)

i believe some pentiums 4 were indeed 32bit