PDA

View Full Version : How different is is to do rope climbing in gym and in the wild?

legolas_w
February 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I am wondering how different it will be to do rope climbing indoor in the gym compared to do it in the wild on some real rocks.

I have been in the gym 10 times so far and think about going outdoor and do some climbing in some nearby walls but thought to ask before daring the trip and buying the long rope...

Thanks.

Paqman
February 11th, 2012, 11:58 PM
You mean rock climbing using ropes? Real rock is quite different from artificial walls. The holds on artificial walls are quite often fairly obvious, on real rock you have to decide what is suitable and how to use it. Also, putting in your protection is obviously a bit more involved, although popular spots might have some hardware already.

Go for it though. Much better scenery climbing outdoors. Check out if there's a club near you. They'll probably be able to lend you some gear, so you might be able to start out with just some shoes and a harness. They'll also teach you how to use and care for the equipment properly.

drawkcab
February 12th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Totally different animals actually. What you're doing is pretty dangerous. You should seek out an expert or just sign up for lessons.

aeronutt
February 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Want to buy some 25 year old climbing/rapelling gear? :)
Something that's worthless, but I can't seem to just toss it.

HermanAB
February 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
In the wild huh? It depends on whether there is a lion below or a bear above you...