PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forum Firefox Addon

catlett
June 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I posted this the other day but realised my title didn't describe anything about the subject of the post. So this time I wanted to let everyone know it is an ubuntu menu option for firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=2302 This is a link to Mozilla's Firefox extensions. An Ubuntu forum member (adam.tropics a.k.a. Adam Smith [he's into linux and economics:D ])has created an extension to firefox. This extension adds the Ubuntu Forum menu to your right-click menu when you use Firefox.
Instant access to any sub-forum, no more bookmarking and tabbing.=D> Right now it is in the process of being updated with the new Dapper links but it has all the other forum links. A must have for the Ubuntu Forum Regular.:!:
Just a quick note from me to Adam...Thank you for your effort. I love my new menu options!:grin:

I don't know if other people have already seen it or not but when I saw an Ubuntu addon, I just had to post it.

drfalkor
June 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Havent seen this, very nice - 4 stars from me ! :KS :KS :KS :KS :p

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Thank you, this is a very useful extension. It needs to be upgraded for Dapper though. It doesn't have the General Support section of the forum.

oyvindaa
June 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Quality. Well done :)

Brynster
June 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Genious

many thanks

catlett
June 8th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you, this is a very useful extension. It needs to be upgraded for Dapper though. It doesn't have the General Support section of the forum.
Adam says it is being updated, he's just waiting on Mozilla. He said in the meantime you can e-mail him and he'll e-mail back an updated version.
If you hit on his name at the addon page it will link you to a page with his e-mail.

P.S. Love your avatar. I wanted it but I couldn't act like I haven't seen you using it. So I opted for the one with ubuntu's underlying system:)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
June 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Adam says it is being updated, he's just waiting on Mozilla. He said in the meantime you can e-mail him and he'll e-mail back an updated version.
If you hit on his name at the addon page it will link you to a page with his e-mail.

P.S. Love your avatar. I wanted it but I couldn't act like I haven't seen you using it. So I opted for the one with ubuntu's underlying system:)
Thank you for the info and go ahead and use my avatar, I don't care. It is just an avatar after all.

PapaWiskas
June 9th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I emailed him and he sent me the newest release, and all the necessary Dapper stuff is in there. Plus there are some additional forum links at the end of the list which are nice.

Overall, Adam has done a very nice job putting this together, so a big THANK YOU TO HIM!!!:p

nalmeth
June 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Very cool

RAV TUX
June 9th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I like it a lot, but I wish it had a customization feature. Also is the code Open Source? if so, where do I find it?

TrailerTrash
June 9th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I like! =D>

sherlock-holmes
June 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM
here is the one i posted on addon search.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192571

sherlock-holmes
June 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I posted this the other day but realised my title didn't describe anything about the subject of the post. So this time I wanted to let everyone know it is an ubuntu menu option for firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon.php?id=2302 This is a link to Mozilla's Firefox extensions. An Ubuntu forum member (adam.tropics a.k.a. Adam Smith [he's into linux and economics:D ])has created an extension to firefox. This extension adds the Ubuntu Forum menu to your right-click menu when you use Firefox.
Instant access to any sub-forum, no more bookmarking and tabbing.=D> Right now it is in the process of being updated with the new Dapper links but it has all the other forum links. A must have for the Ubuntu Forum Regular.:!:
Just a quick note from me to Adam...Thank you for your effort. I love my new menu options!:grin:

I don't know if other people have already seen it or not but when I saw an Ubuntu addon, I just had to post it.

very useful info...thankyou

vinodis
June 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Very Nice. I was thinking about one!

catlett
June 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
here is the one i posted on addon search.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192571
Good detective work! (I guess that should be expected coming from you:p I never knew there was a page that listed all the extensions like that.
Just to clarify to people about sherlock's link. His link takes you to the mozdev site and the page he sends you to has all extensions.(at least all search engine extensions)
When you scroll to the section labeled "computers" there are multiple ubuntu addons. (I posted a screen shot) These addons go in the list of search engines available in the top right quick search box. After install they are available through clicking on the window of the search box.
Now you can add ubuntu bugzilla and search for a bug or use ubuntu wiki and search for wiki help right from the browser quick search box.

Thanks for posting Sherlock.Now I'm loaded with Ubuntu search capabilities :p

sherlock-holmes
June 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Good detective work! (I guess that should be expected coming from you:p I never knew there was a page that listed all the extensions like that.
Just to clarify to people about sherlock's link. His link takes you to the mozdev site and the page he sends you to has all extensions.(at least all search engine extensions)
When you scroll to the section labeled "computers" there are multiple ubuntu addons. (I posted a screen shot) These addons go in the list of search engines available in the top right quick search box. After install they are available through clicking on the window of the search box.
Now you can add ubuntu bugzilla and search for a bug or use ubuntu wiki and search for wiki help right from the browser quick search box.

Thanks for posting Sherlock.Now I'm loaded with Ubuntu search capabilities :p

thank you! ... that page is very helpful and people can discover many applications there which they thought never existed... !!!:)

?????
June 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Firefox extensions are open source :P .xpi files are just renamed zip files.

Christmas
June 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM
How should I install it?

?????
June 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Well, just rezip it up and change .zip to .xpi and open Extension manager and Nautilus and just drag that file onto extension manager.

catlett
June 10th, 2006, 03:07 AM
How should I install it?
Which install are you talking about? If you mean the firefox addon I posted, just go to the site and hit on "install now". It will know your running linux and will install the extension.
If you're talking about the updated version you get by emailing Adam, do this. From inside Firefox go to the top. Hit on Tools<Extensions. When the extension manager opens, drag the xpi you downloaded from the email into the extension manager. A prompt will appear asking you if you want to install the file.
For Sherlock's search engine extensions, follow the link. It will take Firefox about a minute to open the page (because of all the links) Double-click an entry and a prompt appears asking if you want to add this to the list of search engine, select yes.
That's it

Christmas
June 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys I was using Konqueror as a browser and it only saved it. It's great that menu.

catlett
June 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Glad you got it configured. It seems like every time I turn around lately there is something about Ubuntu. Try the page from Sherlock, it is pretty cool to see the ubuntu trademark in the quick search box.:D

Stew2
June 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the tip Catlett. Works great! :D This community rocks! :cool:

P.S. What firefox theme are you using? Looks cool.

P.P.S. Found it :), no need to reply.

adam.tropics
June 10th, 2006, 02:25 PM
It seems Mozilla are being very slow! So I have put the new file below as an attachment. I had to change the extension to get it to upload, so just rename it from .zip to .xpi and simply drag and drop onto any firefox window.

The difference between this and the version on mozilla currently is just the new edgy links and general forum layout have been taken care of.

Stew2
June 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
It seems Mozilla are being very slow! So I have put the new file below as an attachment. I had to change the extension to get it to upload, so just rename it from .zip to .xpi and simply drag and drop onto any firefox window.

The difference between this and the version on mozilla currently is just the new edgy links and general forum layout have been taken care of.

Works great adam, thanks!

catlett
June 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the tip Catlett. Works great! :D This community rocks! :cool:

P.S. What firefox theme are you using? Looks cool.

P.P.S. Found it :), no need to reply.
I know you already found it but this is better than bumping.
It's the "Silver skin". I think it integrates real well with dapper. Something about the silver offset with the human colors that I like. I actually don't mind the forum default colors when I use the silver skin :D
Just to go off topic but people always argue that only profits and capitalism will give you options. That people need financial incentive to do things, so anything done for free will stagnate. Open source software proves them wrong. Internet Explorerer is maintained by one of the largest and richest corporations in the world. It dominates it market with a share around 70% but it is the browser with the least features. Firefox, the open source superstar, with 24% share and 100% open source has more features, skins, addons, extensions than one person can keep track of.
Anyways I think it is pretty cool that there are a couple of ubuntu specific Firefox addons. :D

adam.tropics
June 11th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Just for an update. Mozilla has reviewed and accepted the latest version.....at last! If you have the first one (so unless I emailed it to you, or you downloaded it from this page) , just use the extension manager to check for updates, or uninstall and go get the newer one.

visible
February 14th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I don't know if y'all know about this, but it is pretty cool. I stumbled across this little gem while browsing through firefox extentions. Thought I would share for those that were unaware.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2302/:KS

adam.tropics
February 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I don't know if y'all know about this, but it is pretty cool. I stumbled across this little gem while browsing through firefox extentions. Thought I would share for those that were unaware.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2302/:KS

Newer version attached to this post. Mozilla system has ground to a full stop, and their approval queue is getting silly!

Just download and remove .zip off the filename, then drag it over firefox.

aysiu
February 14th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I've merged this thread with the other Firefox forum extension thread.

marcus2004
February 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Excellent addon thank you.

matthew
February 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Newer version attached to this post. Mozilla system has ground to a full stop, and their approval queue is getting silly!

Just download and remove .zip off the filename, then drag it over firefox.Thanks, Adam. Every update you have made has been an improvement on an already good extension. Good job!