PDA

View Full Version : If I could get another person to switch to Ubuntu/Linux, it would make my day...

rectec794613
February 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I have been loving Ubuntu for almost 5 years now, but so far I haven't gotten a single person to switch, as far as I know. I would absolutely love to see someone give Ubuntu a try, but I don't think that will happen any time soon. So I need some advice.

I know all my friends socially, as in we only know eachother's social life, I.E. typical teenager stuff: relationships, life, school, etc. But I don't know their tech lifestyle, I.E. what OS they use.

I'm afraid to ask them about this because I know this is not important to many people and I have to keep my reputation as a "cool socialite" up. The closest I've ever gotten was with my neighbor, with whom I have a mild technological connection. I proposed him using Ubuntu many times, and each time he refused. He hadn't even tried it, yet he thought it sucked because of some minor issues he'd witnessed before. He gives me no chance.

Well anyway, here are my questions:

How would I start a technology-based relationship with someone in which technology doesn't much matter?
I want to ease this into our conversations. What would I do to best try to convince people to give Ubuntu a try?
How would I make this as easiest as possible on them?
Where can I find people who I can talk about and possible convince them to try Ubuntu?
What kind of people might be inclined to switch?

Thank you.

Sylos
February 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM
You probably wont succeed if your trying too hard with it. I've managed to get a couple of converts over the last 5 years. The best way I have found is to wait for them to moan about something windows does/doesnt do and then slip a little comment in about how that doesnt affect you because you use something better called Ubuntu. Viruses can be a good one to do that with. After a while of these little conversations general curiosity will get the better of them and they will start wanting to know more.

I also found it was easier to get people who have no tech savvy to change. It sounds backwards but when you dont know how to use windows learning to use linux isnt that daunting. You have to learn one if you want to use a computer (or OSX or whatever) so why not learn linux?

As for your specific questions I cant really help. Im a social tard so wouldnt know how to set up a tech element of a relationship without risking loosing your cool rep.

Best of luck.

rectec794613
February 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Haha, thanks!
I don't think I'm trying to hard with it. In fact, I think I'm not trying hard enough. But thanks for reassuring me. This is very tough. I only have social friends, all of which would think I'm a nerd for talking about this...

I think I should start out easy and try online. I have helped out quite a few newbies switch, then I'll try family. My parents are already using Lubuntu on their PC, and they admire its quickness.

This is definitely a skill that needs sharpening. I've been wanting to install some variant of Ubuntu on my sister's PC, which, like my neighbor, has Vista on it. Problem is, they live in California, and I only get to visit once or twice a year. I will try my best to become a good Ubuntu converter, but I'm gonna need your guys' help along the way.

mips
February 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Why?

Myrddin Emrys
February 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Linux Advocacy: The Right Way:

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/02/linux-advocacy-right-way.html
(http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/02/linux-advocacy-right-way.html)
Top 5 ways not to be a Linux evangelist:

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/linuxevangelist.shtml

'Cautionary' - beware of the consequences!:

http://xkcd.com/456/

shizz
February 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
My family had no choice as I'm the only one who knows how to switch the OS heh heh :) All joking a side, they love it. Have Lubuntu on all the computers in the house except mine.
Put it on a laptop that was running vista that was barely use able and gave it to my uncle. :)

The important thing is showing them how good it is, don't just tell them.

chickenPie4breakfast
February 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I would concentrate on security - the reason I didn't try Linux for ages even though I loved the idea of it was because I knew windows gave me the most choice of software and driver support. What I was NOT aware of was if I switched to Linux I could forget about having to run an antivirus program. That's what is making me stick with Linux and just try and work around problems or put up with not being able to use my printer or update my TOMTOM maps etc. How to get them on the subject of security, hmm if a friend ever wants to email something to you just say - dont bother to virus check it - I use Linux so I dont have to worry about getting a virus.

MrMeen
February 11th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Talk to me about why Ubuntu live 9.10 wont let me download apps and you might have a convert lol. i even tried from the terminal and still nothing

ibod
February 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Talk to me about why Ubuntu live 9.10 wont let me download apps and you might have a convert lol. i even tried from the terminal and still nothing

MrMeen

9.10 is out of date and no longer supported as of April 30 2011

see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Look at the End of Life section

you have two good options

1.)
If you want to stay with the same style as 9.10 then download and install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
This is supported until April 2013

or
2.)
If you want to try the new Unity interface you can download and install Ubuntu 11.10 supported till April 2013
or wait till this April and download the new 12.04 LTS supported till April 2017 !!!

Don't forget to backup anything you want to keep before installing the new version !!

all these cd's will work as live cd's so you can boot them and click on Try not Install and when you have finished looking at Ubuntu you can just reboot back into your windows or whatever you run

Hope this helps

Ibod

Smilax
February 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
i got one friend to use ubuntu.

because their hard drive died and they can't afford a new one.

so they run ubuntu on a live cd.

but i think they will switch back to window's when they get a new hard drive

thelosmos
February 11th, 2012, 06:45 PM
You probably wont succeed if your trying too hard with it. I've managed to get a couple of converts over the last 5 years. The best way I have found is to wait for them to moan about something windows does/doesnt do and then slip a little comment in about how that doesnt affect you because you use something better called Ubuntu. Viruses can be a good one to do that with. After a while of these little conversations general curiosity will get the better of them and they will start wanting to know more.

I also found it was easier to get people who have no tech savvy to change. It sounds backwards but when you dont know how to use windows learning to use linux isnt that daunting. You have to learn one if you want to use a computer (or OSX or whatever) so why not learn linux?

As for your specific questions I cant really help. Im a social tard so wouldnt know how to set up a tech element of a relationship without risking loosing your cool rep.

Best of luck.

I totally agree with it may be easier to swith the non techy user over to linux. I have been a windows user for over 15 years and have worked in the IT world profesionally for over 5 years. I've "played" around with linux several times over the past years and recently decided on switching my primary personal desktop to Ubuntu. The hardest part has been going from understanding practically everything about the OS (Windows) to knowing only a small fraction. The only thing that has slightly helped me is my experience with the Cisco IOS and this forum of course. :)

ibod
February 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=rectec794613;11680161]I have been loving Ubuntu for almost 5 years now, but so far I haven't gotten a single person to switch, as far as I know. I would absolutely love to see someone give Ubuntu a try, but I don't think that will happen any time soon. So I need some advice.

Hi rectec

I guess what i do is have a few live cd's at hand
then if you are in a position that you can show someone ubuntu all you have to do is slip the cd in, let it boot and show them how good ubuntu is

some good points about ubuntu for me are

Security, no more scanning, no more scanning software slowing my pc down, no more Paying for scanning software.

Speed, Ubuntu will work on hardware that windows is to slow to use on

Software, all the basic stuff comes installed, and then there is the software centre with 36270 other software programs to install at the click of a button, oh yes mostly one click install that's good as well

Support, this Forum, that's Good !!!

Live CD, even if your ubuntu don't boot one day, boot the live cd and you are up and running in no time and can connect to the forum if you need help.

There are some points that are not so good but other operating systems have their bad points as well.

Ubuntu is a real alternative to the other main operating systems, and is not as expensive !

PS its always best to practice somewhere before you try to demonstrate something to someone

hope this gives you some points to help

Ibod

rectec794613
February 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Wow, thank you guys. I had to go to sleep so sorry I couldn't reply, but thanks for your advice. I'll definitely take these into consideration. You guys have been a great help, feel free to drop in your two cents if you want, though.

SFBrother
February 12th, 2012, 01:25 AM
You have to be with the right people. Join a technology club at school or something. That way, the people you communicate with are already interested into technology. Get to know them, and tell them about Ununtu, and its pros. That is the best way I see to make someone else join.