PDA

View Full Version : Skip Sudo command asking password?

Tubuntu
March 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM
How I can skip sudo command asking password in a script or in a program launchers? Example so k3b would not ask everytime sudo password when i start the program?

I would only like to disable sudo password in my own script and in a couple of programs, so no permanent disable option..

-Thanks

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 07:19 AM
How I can skip sudo command asking password in a script or in a program launchers? Example so k3b would not ask everytime sudo password when i start the program?

I would only like to disable sudo password in my own script and in a couple of programs, so no permanent disable option..

-Thanks
Try this
http://ubuntuguide.org/#usesudowithoutpasswordprompt

Burgundavia
March 11th, 2005, 07:21 AM
You can also very control sudo to a specific command. So you could have k3b ask for no password, while leaving it for all other programs.

Corey

Tubuntu
March 11th, 2005, 11:16 AM
You can also very control sudo to a specific command. So you could have k3b ask for no password, while leaving it for all other programs.

Corey

--> Sorry, but how I can do that? (very control sudo?)

bored2k: I dont want to disable Sudo asking password for all program
only disable it from k3b..
Thank you anyway T

toojays
March 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
You control sudo through the "sudoers" file. To edit this file, run "sudo visudo".

I haven't tested this, but I think the following would allow all users in the "cdrom" group to run "sudo k3b" without needing a password:

%cdrom ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/k3b

For more information, see the sudoers man page.

Tubuntu
March 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Best thanks to you toojays :)

jdong
March 14th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Use extreme caution with granting all-trusting sudo access:

1. Any script running under your name can try to sudo to root -- Malicious programs can easily gain root access under your account, if you have passwordless sudo.

2. A program running as root easily allows other programs to be run as root. Don't grant sudo -- even on individual programs -- to all users. It's pretty easy to turn K3b into a text editor, then grant more sudo privs!

steffen
April 20th, 2005, 02:15 PM
This works for me:

sudo visudo
add:
%steffen ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/k3b
%steffen ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/amarok

(note: I am in group 'steffen'. Look in your User and Groups section in Gnome preferences)

phantom74
February 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
hi all,

iv tried to find documentation on re-enabling the sudo password and i couldnt find it out. everything is to vage and link that was posted "http://ubuntuguide.org/#usesudowithoutpasswordprompt" its like the frikin Bible, so i couldnt find what i needed its just too mutch info for this specific subject.

first off, im running gutsy on Gnome not kde, so, for my understanding this is done diferently.

a friend of mine did this in my computer, he told me i wouldnt have to type in the password everytime i run a sudo command, so i let him do that (it was another thing i could learn to) but i dont want my box exposed to this weekness.

Can somebody please leed me to the readings were this is done, or just post the code so i can do it quikly please? i dont feel confortable with this weekness in my box! i think he edited 2 diferent files, cant remember witch ones!

Help!

jken146
February 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
He probably edited /etc/sudoers. You can edit this yourself by typing
sudo visudo

Look for anywhere that says NOPASSWD and remove those bits or comment them out (put a # in front of them).

phantom74
February 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
i dont think this is it, i remember that my friend edited tow files i think, and this is my sudoers file:

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
# Defaults

Defaults !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

all lines are comented out, so i dont understand!

ps: i do remember my friend edited the group files, something with the weel group.

help please!

jken146
February 6th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm no expert on sudo, but I do know that some distros use the wheel group in a similar way to how Ubuntu uses the admin group. I see that only the admin group is mentioned in your sudoers file. Otherwise the file looks very much like mine. You could try removing the wheel group, if it exists.

Check out the man page for sudo for a proper treatment of the subject.

RezoApio
January 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hi everybody,

I am struggling with the same problem and no matter what I do it does not work.

This is my sudoers file part with the modifications

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
william ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/g15daemon
william ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/visudo

the sudo -l command gives

william@attigliano:~$ sudo -l
User william may run the following commands on this host:
(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/g15daemon
(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/visudo
(ALL) ALL
william@attigliano:~$

And still when I do sudo visudo I am asked for a password ?

Where is my mistake ?
(I have read and reread all the man sudo pages and still no ideas....)

Thanks a lot.

RezoApio
January 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ok Gotcha !!
With the help of a good friend that found the ref to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/131399

Problem is that the last line is uncommented and it overrides what I have done.

that last line
# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges

%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

allow members of the amdin group to run any command BUT with a password.

So removing password for some command before this one will not work !!

Have a very happy new year !!

majedaly
August 24th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi everybody,

I am struggling with the same problem and no matter what I do it does not work.

This is my sudoers file part with the modifications

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
william ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/g15daemon
william ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/visudo

the sudo -l command gives

william@attigliano:~$ sudo -l
User william may run the following commands on this host:
(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/g15daemon
(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/visudo
(ALL) ALL
william@attigliano:~$

And still when I do sudo visudo I am asked for a password ?

Where is my mistake ?
(I have read and reread all the man sudo pages and still no ideas....)

Thanks a lot.
This approach worked for me on ubuntu Desktop, but did not work on Ubuntu server, I don't know why

chrisTGc
November 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
This approach worked for me on ubuntu Desktop, but did not work on Ubuntu server, I don't know why

Hi, just had the same problem here, to get over it i had first to add me to group root EG, in a terminal;

sudo usermod -a -G root chris

Then i had to hash out %ADMIN line in the sudoers file and all mods to sudoers to allow passwordless sudo commands where of the form, EG;

chris ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot

Be prepared next to boot into a live CD and remove the hash from the %ADMIN line if you get into trouble. I did but my system is working just as it should even with the reversion.

Chris

rp88
February 19th, 2011, 04:29 AM
You control sudo through the "sudoers" file. To edit this file, run "sudo visudo".

I haven't tested this, but I think the following would allow all users in the "cdrom" group to run "sudo k3b" without needing a password:

%cdrom ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/k3b

For more information, see the sudoers man page.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but I think I figured out why this wasn't working for a lot of people. The entry you put needs to be at the end, not at the top. Since the addition you make gets over-rid by another entry lower on in the sudoers file.

Here's what I did to run a specific program as sudo without prompting for a password in Meerkat:

Run this in terminal: sudo visudo
At the END of the file, type in: "%yourusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /app/you/want/to/run/as/sudo" without the quotes

Hope this helps someone looking to run something as sudo without prompting for a password.

hakermania
February 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
echo "passwd" | sudo -S synaptic