PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How would I go about installing Linux?

SFBrother
February 11th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Hi. I'm new to the whole OS installing thing. I want to be sure if I decide to install Linux, that I do it the right way, and that I don't screw up my computer, because it is the only one I got.

Right now, I am running on Windows 7 Home Edition. I'm getting kind of bored with the look, and updating software in Windows 7 is crazy confusing. Lots of error messages, and going to websites and help forums to fix the problem. Might take hours. I do hear that Linux is simple, when updates come, it is so simple. So, I would like to give it a try. But as I said earlier, I want to make sure I do it right, because this is the only computer I got.

So, from the main homepage on ubuntu website, by the downloads page, it says I need a disc, or a USB drive. I'm guessing I should get a USB flash drive then, but I do have an empty disc, but it is only 700MB. I don't think that will be enough. They did not say on the page that I was on how much memory the OS will take. So, I am wondering how much would be good to get, so I can buy the right size Flash drive to run Linux.

I do want to duel boot with this computer with Windows 7 and Linux, because for my Grandma who uses this computer, has not much knowledge of computers, and it will be annoying for her to get to know a whole new OS. Me on the other hand, I will figure it out one way or another.

And all the other stuff with installing it. Like when I download it to the Flash Drive, and going into BIOS and stuff. I never did that before, so I might not have much of a knowledge of that part. Could any of you help me?

MG&TL
February 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM
A good link for this is here: if you need anything else, come back. :) Welcome to Open-source!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

You do not even need to install ubuntu straight away-you can try it from the USB/CD before you go.

SFBrother
February 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM
A good link for this is here: if you need anything else, come back. :) Welcome to Open-source!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

You do not even need to install ubunut straight away-you can try it from the USB/CD before you go.
Thanks a lot for your help. I did that, followed the steps, and now I am using Linux. So far, I am loving it. There is just some things I need to learn.