PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Business remix

keithpeter
February 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hello All

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1002

Don't want to download for just curiosity, has anyone here had a look at this already?

Seems to include Flash but strips out music players and social network stuff.

Strikes me as a good idea.

lykwydchykyn
February 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I suppose they know what they're doing with it, but personally if I were doing big deployments I would think I'd already have some custom remix going, if not something like FAI or preseed.

I wonder if there'll be a task/metapackage for it?

cariboo
February 10th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I'm currently installing it in vbox, just to have a look at the differences. One thing that may stop many from trying/installing it, is that you have to register, as there are some proprietary programs included.

Edit: The biggest difference, is what isn't there. No games, Movie player is the only media app installed.

Paqman
February 11th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Edit: The biggest difference, is what isn't there. No games, Movie player is the only media app installed.

Doesn't it also have Java* 6, after they changed their mind about removing from the repos when business users freaked. Folks were not happy about an enforced migration.

*Well, OpenJDK, but the line between Sun Java and OpenJDK is getting pretty fuzzy anyway.

Lucradia
February 11th, 2012, 01:18 AM
*Well, OpenJDK, but the line between Sun Java and OpenJDK is getting pretty fuzzy anyway.

Still need JVM from Sun/Oracle for stuff like Minecraft though.

Paqman
February 11th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Still need JVM from Sun/Oracle for stuff like Minecraft though.

Actually you don't. Mojang just recommend you use Sun Java so they've only got one platform to provide support for. I've never had any problems running Minecraft on OpenJDK.

keithpeter
February 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Hello cariboo907

That's the point I think. In the corporate offices where people access enterprise apps over the network all day you don't need games/music. The additions make sense as well (VM &c). It comes with Flash and Java, hence the registration requirement (plus marketing).

As you have the thing in a VM, is it a 'live' CD or an installer? If an installer, is it alternate style or the normal installer without the live bit?

Ta

keithpeter
February 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I wonder if there'll be a task/metapackage for it?

Hello lykwydchykyn

Pop a comment on Shuttleworth's blog asking about that. Sort of like the RHEL scripts for the installer?

cariboo
February 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Hello cariboo907

That's the point I think. In the corporate offices where people access enterprise apps over the network all day you don't need games/music. The additions make sense as well (VM &c). It comes with Flash and Java, hence the registration requirement (plus marketing).

As you have the thing in a VM, is it a 'live' CD or an installer? If an installer, is it alternate style or the normal installer without the live bit?

Ta

You get the choice of both, the installer is the first menu choice, and the Live CD is the second menu choice when booting from the CD.

ibrahimtawbe
February 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/sites/www.ubuntu.com/files/active/02_ubuntu/U2_desktop/U2_desktop_homepage/screen-applications.png this pic is labeled as "Business applications" on http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/remix
seriously !! :confused: these are the business applications , just look at RHEL commercials so you can have an idea + Unity IS still buggy
why launching this based on 11.10 just before LTS 12.04 ?

keithpeter
February 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
why launching this based on 11.10 just before LTS 12.04 ?

Testing the water? See how many genuine companies download a copy?

Depends on the business I guess - I used to walk past an office with around 80 people sitting at PC monitors showing a cut down Windows desktop with just a dos box showing current calls - it was some kind of telemarketing company.