PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 - Crash/Freeze during installation

Sebert
February 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hello alltogether,

I already have Ubuntu installed on various notebooks, and I am loving it.
On my Desktop PC, I need windows for some work-related stuff, as well as games :p

Two days ago, I wiped XP Pro from my HD to reinstall it, like you unfortunately have to do from time to time :-| This time I split my OS HD into 2 partitions, the smaller one (50 GB, not formatted yet) reserved for Ubuntu.

Yesterday I tried to install Ubuntu 11.10 (DVD, 32-Bit) on my machine, but I cannot even get the installation started. The DVD booted up fine, I chose "Install Ubuntu".
Those things happened:

Sometimes, even before the installation dialog came up, the "desktop" just froze.
Sometimes the installation dialog froze somewhere during the first steps (where you chose your language, or where you can check "Download Updates during installation)
Two times the machine just rebooted.
One time I got to see a kind of debug/log screen, the last line said: "Kernel Panic - not syncing. Kernel stack corrupted in c1285ab0"

I also unplugged all non essential USB devices, but this didn't accomplished anything.

Specs (according to DxDiag/CPU-Z):

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
2046MB RAM DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
ASUS M2A-VM
BIOS: ASUS M2A-VM Phoenix ACPI BIOS Revision 2001. Date 08/05/2008

I'd appreciate any ideas !

EDIT: I thought that the standard 32-bit version should work on my machine (I also use 32-bit WinXP Pro), or should I rather try the AMD64 Version?

Sebert
February 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hello,

the same thing happened with the AMD64 version.

Doesn't anybody have a clou what might be causing this?

Regards

Sebert