PDA

View Full Version : Any dell techs here?

cptrohn
February 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hey I just had a question....

I worked for Dell on a contract a while back and they had a really slick PC to PC migration tool(software) that would be REALLY helpful to me in my position, but for the life of me I just can't remember the name of the software that they used. You would just have a source PC and a target PC and a regular network cable (not a crossover cable) and it would transfer all the files very, very quickly without alot of work involved.

Anybody that can remember or knows the name of that piece of software (or an equal open source app) would be very, very appreciative....

Thanks!

mips
February 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
why don't you call up one of your old colleagues?

cptrohn
February 10th, 2012, 10:17 PM
why don't you call up one of your old colleagues?

Lost my cell phone and all my contacts :(

collisionystm
February 10th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Hey I just had a question....

I worked for Dell on a contract a while back and they had a really slick PC to PC migration tool(software) that would be REALLY helpful to me in my position, but for the life of me I just can't remember the name of the software that they used. You would just have a source PC and a target PC and a regular network cable (not a crossover cable) and it would transfer all the files very, very quickly without alot of work involved.

Anybody that can remember or knows the name of that piece of software (or an equal open source app) would be very, very appreciative....

Thanks!

Sounds like Norton Ghost

try CloneZilla. Its the same thing.

Or you are looking at a PXE install

CharlesA
February 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I remember someone mentioning a program that uses java as a base to transfer files. It was crossplatform from what I recall, but I can't remember the name, but it was talked about on these forums.

cptrohn
February 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Sounds like Norton Ghost

try CloneZilla. Its the same thing.

Or you are looking at a PXE install

None of the above.... It's not a cloning utility, the machines were already imaged at this point...

I was thinking it was called Dell Tech Tool or something along those lines but haven't been able to locate it yet. We do business with Dell at work and I will probably just give them a call Monday, was just too darn busy to get around to it today.

cptrohn
February 11th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I remember someone mentioning a program that uses java as a base to transfer files. It was crossplatform from what I recall, but I can't remember the name, but it was talked about on these forums.

Thanks Charlesa.... I'm looking around to see what I can find...