PDA

View Full Version : As promised - pics of my new build...

ClientAlive
February 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I sure appreciate the help I was given when I was asking questions about how to do stuff. I was fortunate with this build, everything just worked right off. Fired right up. Anyhow, I posted some pics to share. Hope you like em'

http://2012computerbuildmyfirstnewbuild.shutterfly.com/

:popcorn:

sffvba[e0rt
February 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Nice setup! (I am envious... I also have a new rig but it was pre-built and I didn't get to choose most of what has gone into it).

I hope it serves you well, enjoy it :)

Erik1984
February 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Nice dual monitor set up. Ubuntu looks good on those pictures :D

grahammechanical
February 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM
A self-build is scary at first but now you are thinking: Is that all there is to it? It is a nice feeling, is it not?

Regards.

hildenbrandsteven
February 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Impressive. Pretty powerful build, why the coolermaster though seems a little excessive. Either way, very powerful machine with an intense amount of RAM! What kind've stuff are you going to be doing with this machine?

|{urse
February 10th, 2012, 03:19 PM
+1 for using asus ^^

Bucky Ball
February 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Impressive. Pretty powerful build, why the coolermaster though seems a little excessive.

I'm not sure what the Coolermaster box is???

BUT, what PSU did you use? I see no identifying marks on it. Rule one of a custom build: Always start with a good quality PSU (not a generic silver box or no name). It is the heart of the machine and poor quality PSUs have the ability to take out the rest of your hardware when they die, prematurely, unexpectedly, sometimes in a burst of spark, smoke and flame.

But I'm sure you knew/thought of that OP. It is a very satisfying feeling sitting at a computer you've designed and built yourself. The first one can be 'years in the planning' (or at least weeks) but they are easier after that. I went for an energy efficient Linux build and it took ages to research and design but the next one was easier and was a tweak to the original and a matter of locating and procuring the parts. ;)

iponeverything
February 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I have actually had a PSU burst into flames before, it was in a hospital while I was there there checking out a problem with another system. It turns out that a dead fan and excessive dust build-up - can be a bad combo.

Luckly none of the other components were damaged.

conradin
February 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM
*GASP* someone is still buying dvd drives??

Grenage
February 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'm partial to Corsair PSUs.

It's very common for people to think that a PSU is just a dumb unit dishing out what the mains throws in. You'd be amazed at the problems cheap units can cause.

forrestcupp
February 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Looks like you have a window air conditioner in there. :)

Bucky Ball
February 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM

It's very common for people to think that a PSU is just a dumb unit dishing out what the mains throws in. You'd be amazed at the problems cheap units can cause.

+1. The lack of a good quality PSU is a common, crucial, and eventually can be an expensive oversight for first-time builders. I would get something decent. Definitely worth the outlay (and a good PSU can rate at 600,000 + hours life expectancy so will last beyond this build - no such rating for a generic silver box). For energy efficiency, look for the 80+ or 85+ efficiency rating (they turn it into power not heat thus saving a bit of money). Coolermaster, Antec are a couple that make 'em but they're becoming much more common than when I first went hunting for them (the 85+ rating was only just happening).

See if you can swap the Orion. You won't be sorry; a cooler, quieter, safer machine all round. Click my signature link regarding 'Energy Efficient Computer Build' for a more extensive, if slightly dated, explanation of the importance of PSUs. The basic info is still relevant. ;)

Supermouse
February 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Pretty nice build.

I always built my own machines (ok, so far, in 12 years, I only built 2. My first one, and my actual one, 9 years ago...), and it's really nice to choose what you really want, and also it's cheaper...

I'm planning to build a new machine this month (my 9 year old Athlon XP is starting to have trouble to use any software relatively new...), but I'm going to buy a more modest machine, without too much bling, and with only one monitor (**** is pretty expensive here in Brazil). I was planning to use the computer for programming and running virtual machines, so I was thinking in buying an i3 or an i5 with a cool motherboard (an MSI with the Z68 chipset) and no video card (I don't game anymore), but Intel **** is really, really, really frigging expensive around here.

An i3-2130 with 4 GB RAM, the motherboard, 1 TB SATA HD and a 23" monitor would set me back R$ 2.160,00 (that's roughly U$ 1.100,00), and this is a lot.

So I traded it for an AMD A6-3500 with an Asus motherboard (the rest of the components are the same), and now I'll spend circa R$ 1.500,00 (U$ 750,00).

As I said, a much more modest machine than yours. But yours is great! I couldn't identify the processor you're using (I didn't see it in the pictures), but it must be a monster for you to put that big cooling system over it.

Also, I really envy you for having 2 23" monitors... I was using my 17" Flatron at home, and it was cool to me, now at work I have a 23" and just cannot go back to using a smaller screen than that. Using 2 monitors with this screen size must be magical...

CharlesA
February 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Same here. I think I have used a Corsair in all my build except one, and that one was an OCZ.

@OP: Nice build, that's for sure.

ClientAlive
February 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Nice setup! (I am envious... I also have a new rig but it was pre-built and I didn't get to choose most of what has gone into it).

I hope it serves you well, enjoy it :)

Thanks. Me too. :D

A self-build is scary at first but now you are thinking: Is that all there is to it? It is a nice feeling, is it not?

Regards.

I certainly is. I remember worrying about a lot of things; but, when it came down to it everything went together pretty smoothly. If you notice in the pics, the first on that shows the cpu cooler on the mobo reveals I had installed it upside down. I had the board all the way in the case and bolted in before I realized it.

I spent roughly 3.5 mos planning this build; then, right before I was ready to begin purchasing, the prices of hard drive shot up - DOH!! I could have waited some indeterminate amount of time, hoping they would eventually creep back down; but, after 3.5 mos of drooling over components, I was ready to go!

I made lists and lists and more lists. I made lists that were just fantasies, I made lists that were stripped down way beyond acceptable, I made in between lists. I learned a heck of a lot after not knowing much of anything about the market or about hardware specs and features.

Impressive. Pretty powerful build, why the coolermaster though seems a little excessive. Either way, very powerful machine with an intense amount of RAM! What kind've stuff are you going to be doing with this machine?

As a result of it's main purpose(s), this machine will end up running pretty much constantly. I wanted to do what I can to ensure it lasts and is reliable - I figured keeping heat down was one way to do that.

You can't see it in the pictures but I did oc the sucker just to see what it was like. Still no o/s installed (that's a whole other project - lemme tell ya'). I found this button in my bios, a performance setting, and it jumped my cpu up from the stock 2.8 GHz to 3.4 GHz while keeping my voltage within spec. From running a live cd it 'appeared' pretty stable as well. RAM speed was then able to be set at 1920 MHz (voltage and timings within spec still as well). That ram is sold as 1866 MHz.

I don't think I'll keep it like that/ run it like that - though I may bump it up from stock just a weensie little bit.

+1 for using asus ^^

I love their UEFI bios. It's beautiful and seems to have all the goodies.

Have you heard of the efi_stub in the newest kernel? It eliminates the need of a bootloader entirely. You put the kernel in the system partition (an EFI thing) and the bios boots the sucker directly. It's like magic - poof! The machine just boots up like a blaze of lightning.

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/efi-adventures/

Looks like you have a window air conditioner in there. :)

Not really sure what you meant.

As far as the cpu cooler goes - I made a mistake with it. Apparently it does not have the variable speed control feature. Had I known the difference I would have looked for that. At this point I suppose I'll just ride this one out and get a better one when/ if I have to.

Pretty nice build.

I always built my own machines (ok, so far, in 12 years, I only built 2. My first one, and my actual one, 9 years ago...), and it's really nice to choose what you really want, and also it's cheaper...

I'm planning to build a new machine this month (my 9 year old Athlon XP is starting to have trouble to use any software relatively new...), but I'm going to buy a more modest machine, without too much bling, and with only one monitor (**** is pretty expensive here in Brazil). I was planning to use the computer for programming and running virtual machines, so I was thinking in buying an i3 or an i5 with a cool motherboard (an MSI with the Z68 chipset) and no video card (I don't game anymore), but Intel **** is really, really, really frigging expensive around here.

An i3-2130 with 4 GB RAM, the motherboard, 1 TB SATA HD and a 23" monitor would set me back R$ 2.160,00 (that's roughly U$ 1.100,00), and this is a lot.

So I traded it for an AMD A6-3500 with an Asus motherboard (the rest of the components are the same), and now I'll spend circa R$ 1.500,00 (U$ 750,00).

As I said, a much more modest machine than yours. But yours is great! I couldn't identify the processor you're using (I didn't see it in the pictures), but it must be a monster for you to put that big cooling system over it.

Also, I really envy you for having 2 23" monitors... I was using my 17" Flatron at home, and it was cool to me, now at work I have a 23" and just cannot go back to using a smaller screen than that. Using 2 monitors with this screen size must be magical...

Sorry to hear that. It is neat to hear from someone in Brazil tho. One of my history classes (History of Latin America) focused a lot on Brazil history. That was a long time ago though.

Good luck with your build. Personally, I prefer AMD. (Someone will undoubtedly argue this piont, but... I think that, though AMD may not be quite as spectacular performance wise, they're pretty darn close - enough to be competitive. The price of AMD vs. the performace was a no brainer for me.
================================================== ========================

I think someone asked what the CPU is:

The CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb. 2.8 GHz, 6MB cache, HVM technology (that last one was a big must have for me).

As far as the PSU goes... I really didn't think it was a very big deal. The horrifying image of my computer bursting into a fireworks display did pass through my mind but I just kinda shrugged it off. It's interesting to hear that can actually be a reality.

That PSU came with the case, a 585W unit. I suppose it is something I should think about upgrading before long at all. I'm not sure they would take back just a part of a package deal.

If I had to list the first things I would upgrade (in order of priority):

1) PSU (thanks to some wise advice)
2) A blue ray drive
2) A solid state drive (yes, there are two number 2's :)
3) CPU

What I intend to use it for...

I want to put a Gentoo base system on there (I know, sacriledge) and add Xen (so Gentoo would be my dom0, or 'host' domain for Xen). If I can make it work (and this would be a real challenge) I would like to harden that dom0 kernel and add PAX and SeLinux.

Some of the main domU (guest domains) will be:

~ A web server (and any other servers appropriate - ie: ftp, ssh, possibly smtp, possibly ldap, etc)

~ A programming/ development environment (basically a choice o/s for that along with all the right apps, compiler(s), etc)

~ And finally, this one falls more into a group (or troupe if you prefer :) than anything - and my ideas for this get complicated pretty quickly - I'll try to keep it basic here though

An area that contains a tremendous number of domU operating systems all the way from standard o/s'es to server o/s'es to obscure or hard to find o/s'es. The ultimate goal for most of them being to serve them up to an-other computer over a secure network (this is a project for me).

A second reason would be because it's just plain awesome to have a wide variety of operating systems available to choose from. I could (a) just check out a particular one or other if I felt like it. I could (b) use it to help someone else fix their problem (think about if you had every Ubuntu release for the last, say, 3 years on your machine and you could just fire up the one that corresponds to the op's).

I've set a target number. It's kind of an arbitrary choice but I think it's a good one. I figure I should shoot for 100 domU's in this category/ purpose of the machine. How will you fit them you ask? Well it's not that I have the storage space to do it (because I do) it's that I have this idea to diff them all, one from another; and separate out the common parts from the unique parts; the types (Widows, BSD, linux, etc) from one another, and the apps separate unto themselves - then combine the two together when you run it and alow any one access to the apps you have made available to it (app managements system going on here too). There will be a common data storage space as well - once outside user's become involved (user's other than myself) there will be stringent access control.

Pretty cool huh?

papibe
February 11th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks for sharing those pictures. I enjoyed a lot seeing the gallery!

Regards.

Supermouse
February 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
What I intend to use it for...

I want to put a Gentoo base system on there (I know, sacriledge) and add Xen (so Gentoo would be my dom0, or 'host' domain for Xen). If I can make it work (and this would be a real challenge) I would like to harden that dom0 kernel and add PAX and SeLinux.

Some of the main domU (guest domains) will be:

~ A web server (and any other servers appropriate - ie: ftp, ssh, possibly smtp, possibly ldap, etc)

~ A programming/ development environment (basically a choice o/s for that along with all the right apps, compiler(s), etc)

~ And finally, this one falls more into a group (or troupe if you prefer :) than anything - and my ideas for this get complicated pretty quickly - I'll try to keep it basic here though

An area that contains a tremendous number of domU operating systems all the way from standard o/s'es to server o/s'es to obscure or hard to find o/s'es. The ultimate goal for most of them being to serve them up to an-other computer over a secure network (this is a project for me).

A second reason would be because it's just plain awesome to have a wide variety of operating systems available to choose from. I could (a) just check out a particular one or other if I felt like it. I could (b) use it to help someone else fix their problem (think about if you had every Ubuntu release for the last, say, 3 years on your machine and you could just fire up the one that corresponds to the op's).

I've set a target number. It's kind of an arbitrary choice but I think it's a good one. I figure I should shoot for 100 domU's in this category/ purpose of the machine. How will you fit them you ask? Well it's not that I have the storage space to do it (because I do) it's that I have this idea to diff them all, one from another; and separate out the common parts from the unique parts; the types (Widows, BSD, linux, etc) from one another, and the apps separate unto themselves - then combine the two together when you run it and alow any one access to the apps you have made available to it (app managements system going on here too). There will be a common data storage space as well - once outside user's become involved (user's other than myself) there will be stringent access control.

Pretty cool huh?

Sir, I must say your idea is amazing.

I must research a bit more on Xen, but virtualizing all your working environments will not cut your performance? Or Xen gives direct access to your hardware? I was planning to throw Windows 7 on my machine (ikes! but my girlfriend needs it with direct hardware access to an 3D video card to run AutoCAD), then run Ubuntu on a VM for me (I don't believe in dual boot because I dislike the hasle of rebooting the machine to change the operating system), and the I would need to run some other VMs to test stuff.

Your Xen idea would perfectly fit my needs, and I remember many years ago thinking about something this lines, but I cancelled the project and forgotten it, mainly because at the time virtualization technology was not very good and required expensive hardware to run properly. To run Xen do you need an specific processor feature?

ClientAlive
February 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Sir, I must say your idea is amazing.

I must research a bit more on Xen, but virtualizing all your working environments will not cut your performance? Or Xen gives direct access to your hardware? I was planning to throw Windows 7 on my machine (ikes! but my girlfriend needs it with direct hardware access to an 3D video card to run AutoCAD), then run Ubuntu on a VM for me (I don't believe in dual boot because I dislike the hasle of rebooting the machine to change the operating system), and the I would need to run some other VMs to test stuff.

Your Xen idea would perfectly fit my needs, and I remember many years ago thinking about something this lines, but I cancelled the project and forgotten it, mainly because at the time virtualization technology was not very good and required expensive hardware to run properly. To run Xen do you need an specific processor feature?

Xen is known as a paravirtualized hypervisor. Parivirtuailzation with Xen acheives close to native performance. It can not, however, be used for Windows (proprietary in nature; is, I assume, the reason). You have to run Windows as HVM (hardware virtualized). There is device passthrough but I'm not really 100% on all the ins and outs of that. For me, the web server and everything else will be nix, so I'll be able to run them paravirtualized. Ultimately, I should be able to acheive near native performance for the things that matter to me - Windows being the exception.

To run Xen do you need an specific processor feature?

HVM (hardware virtualization) is a CPU feature but is not required to run Xen. The difference comes in with what you run on Xen. If you're running a nix system(s) you don't need HVM. Windows is the one that has to have it to run under Xen. CPU's with that feature are cheap (I paid about $100 for mine).

Xen is coming a long way, by the way. Personally, I've found it difficult to find basic how to info that's tailored to my requirements, but it doesn't sound that bad to get running. One thing that has been challenging with Xen is compatibility with a hardened system, SeLinux and PAX. I think their most recent fixes are supposed to address that - fingers crossed.

I prefer not not having to reboot as well. :)

ClientAlive
February 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Can I share something with you guys?

I'm bothered with the notion that I ought to go through this build with a fine tooth comb and double check that everything is proper. When I consider doing that though I feel a bit lost. The whole point of doing something like that is to gain a greater security that all is well (either through identifying and correcting some flaw or through verifying there is no flaw). When I consider it, I don't really have a solid idea/ method in place that I feel confident would acheive that result.

Paqman
February 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'm bothered with the notion that I ought to go through this build with a fine tooth comb and double check that everything is proper.

Does it boot up when you press the power button? That's pretty much the measure of success for building a system.

Don't sweat it, sounds like you've done a good job. Pat yourself on the back.

I would however echo the advice of others that the PSU is actually a very important component. The least reliable components in computers are PSUs, optical drives and magnetic hard drives. There's not much you can do to improve the reliability of the the latter two due to the number of moving parts (besides just not using them). But spending a bit more on a quality PSU will help. Besides being more reliable better PSUs generally use less power and provide a cleaner electrical supply to your other components, which improves their reliability too.

I wouldn't fall over myself to replace it, but putting it at the top of your list for upgrades is a good idea.

ClientAlive
February 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Does it boot up when you press the power button? That's pretty much the measure of success for building a system.

Don't sweat it, sounds like you've done a good job. Pat yourself on the back.

I would however echo the advice of others that the PSU is actually a very important component. The least reliable components in computers are PSUs, optical drives and magnetic hard drives. There's not much you can do to improve the reliability of the the latter two due to the number of moving parts (besides just not using them). But spending a bit more on a quality PSU will help. Besides being more reliable better PSUs generally use less power and provide a cleaner electrical supply to your other components, which improves their reliability too.

I wouldn't fall over myself to replace it, but putting it at the top of your list for upgrades is a good idea.

Yeah, it boots up fine. There's no o/s on there yet - of course. There's a couple odd, tiny issues I supoose. The led on my power button doesn't come on. Next and more important I suppose, When I go to enter the uefi it asks me 3 times to press del to enter it. (The sceen that tells you to press del to enter shows up again even after pressing del for a total of the third time before it enters). And most important, I think, a device that's actually plugged into one of the sata connections on the mobo shows as nothing installed in uefi (I think it's the card reader on that connection on the mobo but haven't isolated it to that for sure). I guess I thought I'd see if it works after I get my system built on there. Then, if it does, who cares - right?

I guess the real fear I have is that some wire or connection, plugged into the wrong place (on the header for the front pannel buttons for instance), will cause some short circuit or something if I start running the thing. End up frying the whole darn thing => POOF, up in a cloud of smoke! :(

idk

CharlesA
February 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
If you accidentally plug in something backwards on the front panel header, it won't do any damage, it just won't work.

Everything else is keyed, so you can't put it in the wrong way. Maybe if you used a hammer.. but that would be voiding the warranty anyway. :p

JayKay3OOO
February 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Mmm, nice build. It's great to see all the parts shiny for the first week before they get all dusty :)

Even with a DOA asus board I re-brought and a year later my AMD phenom 2 965be is running flawlessly on the replacement (You can oc it to 3.8GHZ from the 3.4) but honestly without an SSD I hardly can tell so better to keep the temps down with a hot room it's @ 41 degrees. The temps rocket even with after market cooler on 3.8 though from memory I think the ceiling is 60degrees c.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LPC4lGK_6PY/Tp2cU4tx4nI/AAAAAAAAAVg/nIjPgiHx_LI/s1600/100_0702.JPG

The only thing that worries me in a build is static as it's so easy to fry a part by accident, but I see you took the precautions.

As long as you do your homework on products there should normally never be any problems.

My only advice to any builder is to test it out of the case first so if something is broken then you don't have to pull the whole thing out especially if it's the motherboard.

MG&TL
February 14th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Newbie hardware guy here-what's the penny for? (Americans, copper coin) I see it in a lot of your pictures, usually on the side of the case.

And well done!

aaaantoine
February 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
"UEFI BIOS"? Isn't that a contradiction of terms?

haqking
February 15th, 2012, 12:35 AM

Yes and no. UEFI is not BIOS for sure, but then UEFI does not completely replace it either as UEFI does not deal with POST etc and BIOS is still needed for that.

It either sits on top of BIOS or sits on systems which dont need a BIOS, UEFI is merely an Interface

ClientAlive
February 16th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Maybe if you used a hammer.. :p

Ha Ha... laughed my butt off on that one :D

Mmm, nice build. It's great to see all the parts shiny for the first week before they get all dusty :)

Even with a DOA asus board I re-brought and a year later my AMD phenom 2 965be is running flawlessly on the replacement (You can oc it to 3.8GHZ from the 3.4) but honestly without an SSD I hardly can tell so better to keep the temps down with a hot room it's @ 41 degrees. The temps rocket even with after market cooler on 3.8 though from memory I think the ceiling is 60degrees c.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LPC4lGK_6PY/Tp2cU4tx4nI/AAAAAAAAAVg/nIjPgiHx_LI/s1600/100_0702.JPG

The only thing that worries me in a build is static as it's so easy to fry a part by accident, but I see you took the precautions.

As long as you do your homework on products there should normally never be any problems.

My only advice to any builder is to test it out of the case first so if something is broken then you don't have to pull the whole thing out especially if it's the motherboard.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to set things manually on that board. I tried it a couple times with the voltage and timings for the RAM but it won't take. When I click the thing to save the changes and reset, then go back and look at the settings again, nothing has changed - it just goes back to what it was. The guys at Asus tech support aren't much help. Half the time they seem more confused than I am, and one guy I've gotten before is extremely cocky and rude.

Anyhow, if you have a tip on that it would be great. I presume there is some other, more general setting, I need to be sure is/ isn't enabled before it will let me make manual changes - idk.

Newbie hardware guy here-what's the penny for? (Americans, copper coin) I see it in a lot of your pictures, usually on the side of the case.

And well done!

Thanks,

The penny is to give something to compare to for size. If you know how big a penny is you know how big the thing in the picure is next to it. :)

From my understanding? Yes it would be. I felt it would make the language more understandable to more people though.

matbluvenger
February 16th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Nice set-up! I just really got into wire management (didn't really care before but now I have a lot more stuff in my rig) and kudos to your work. It's hard when you don't have that Obsidian case with the super handy back panel ;)