PDA

View Full Version : What's your killer Linux app you simply cant be without on windows?

chickenPie4breakfast
February 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
There is a thread asking what's your killer windows app you cant be without so what do you miss when you have to use a windows machine?

Does bash shell count?
I do love Kupfer (app launcher) better than any I used on windows
gnotes

spynappels
February 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The terminal, I use Cygwin, but it is not quite the same.

HansKisaragi
February 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The Linux Kernel :> tihi

Jesus_Valdez
February 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM
The gnome-shell and synapse

Simian Man
February 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
All of the programs I use Linux for (KDE desktop, zsh, LaTeX, vim, development tools...) either can be installed in Windows or have equivalents. It's just more convenient on Linux.

BeRoot ReBoot
February 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
It's just more convenient on Linux.

Mainly this. Most distros come with python and perl installed and integrated as a part of the OS, for example. And installing and configuring LaTeX on windows is a nightmare.

CompyTheInsane
February 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
OpenShot

Bachstelze
February 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
It's not any particular app. I just don't feel "at home" on Windows.

hildenbrandsteven
February 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM
The environment, more control over my system, bash shell... and KDE is better looking than Windows.

chickenPie4breakfast
February 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Hmm it's rather telling that people are finding it hard to think of a great linux app they would miss - yet the windows thread is full of them :)

Simian Man
February 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hmm it's rather telling that people are finding it hard to think of a great linux app they would miss - yet the windows thread is full of them :)

Almost all Linux software can be installed on Windows for 2 reasons: 1) it makes little sense to develop an application that only 1% of computer users can use and 2) most Linux software is open source so it can easily be recompiled for Windows.

Frogs Hair
February 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Almost all Linux software can be installed on Windows for 2 reasons: 1) it makes little sense to develop an application that only 1% of computer users can use and 2) most Linux software is open source so it can easily be recompiled for Windows.

True ! , I had Open Office , Celestia , and 7zip installed on Windows before I used Linux . I have added Gimp as well , but these are cross platform applications that I think are more often native to Linux .

DangerOnTheRanger
February 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
The terminal (bash, to be specific) and the .deb package management system.

Mini Evo
February 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Ubuntu Software Center! makes applications readily available and easy to find. Whereas windows on the other hand has nothing like it

rg4w
February 11th, 2012, 10:20 PM
The terminal (bash, to be specific)
+1

I have no idea how anyone gets any real work done with the stock Win terminal or with DOS.

gardnan
February 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM
To me, there is no one killer Linux application that makes it better than windows. To me, GNU/Linux's 'killer app' is simply its philosophy: that you can get more work done by combining simplistic tools in complex ways, and that you deserve the right to understand how your operating system works.

In Windows, no one is going to tell you how the kernel works, how the OS works, or how the software works. Microsoft does not want you to understand how they work, they only want you to follow along passively with their design.

In Linux, you can understand your OS, and therefore you will understand where your problems are, you will understand intuitively how to accomplish tasks, and you will understand how to modify it if necessary to suit your needs.

forrestcupp
February 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM
The gnome-shell and synapse

+1 to Gnome Shell

You can't use Cinelerra in Windows, and there sure aren't any free Windows video editors that can compare.

urukrama
February 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
apt-get or aptitude

|{urse
February 11th, 2012, 11:24 PM
cowsay