PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation-onset Dual-booting Problem - Win7/Natty

AnylaWhere
February 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Greetings, salutations, and other hello-like terms.

Often as I peruse these threads, this is my first post--usually I don't have to trouble anyone as things are already solved. I couldn't find anything this time, though.
Apologies if this is in the wrong section--I wasn't sure I counted as a complete "Beginner"...

I bought a Sony Vaio C series a few days back, my first brand-new computer, running the Windows 7 I need for my classes. But for personal use I wanted my good friend the Narwhal from 11.04 that I've got on my old desktop, so I attempted a dual-boot.
I've done this before on my sisters' computers with no problems, so I was unprepared for everything that's gone wrong in the first week of owning this thing.

A note in case it's relevant:
I flubbed the install the first time and had to wipe the computer back to factory setting mode, for which I had to install Lilo. But then I restored it and tried a second time once Windows was back and running.

And at the first bootup after the proper install Ubuntu was working perfectly. But immediately after that, it stopped working altogether.

What happens:
When I boot up, I get the purple screen asking me which OS I want to use. I can load Windows 7 just fine every time, do whatever I want on it (I'm on it now). But every time I choose Linux, it blanks out to a completely dead screen--not black, dead. My computer is still on, flashy keyboard lit up, but nothing will make the display work, and no matter how long I leave it be it never gets anywhere or loads anything.

I've tried multiple times over multiple days, been up at nights looking for solutions, and even uninstalled, reinstalled, and replaced the Ubuntu portion, each time after which it will work once, and when I reboot it, nothing again.

This isn't life or death, of course, but I've run out of ways to try and fix this myself.
I'm not a huge Windows fan for everyday use--I'm only using it for class, and would much prefer that my new laptop be, well, my new main computer (as desktops are much less portable). So any suggestions would be really awesome.

Thanks!

bogan
February 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hi! Anylawhere,

The place to go is MAFoElffen's Step-by-step trouble-shooter in his 'Black Screen' Sticky in this forum, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535&page=95

Post #2 has an index but Post #1 is where you should start.

All the best,
Chao!, bogan,

Elfy
February 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thread closed. Please do not post duplicates, it dilutes community effort.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1923898