PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sound problem

Pzdarter
February 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi. I have just upgraded and now have no sound whatsoever. Any assistance appreciated.

ajgreeny
February 9th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Upgraded from what to what?

Much more detail needed please. Still much to brief.

Pzdarter
February 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hi,
I upgraded yesterday from jaunty to narwhal. Previously I had correct sound in all applications, but now I have no sound at all, not even the start up jingle. I have tried a cd, no sound.
I am not familiar with computers but my troubleshooting thus far leads me to suspect that the driver has not installed. At that point I was instructed to open a terminal and type some commands which, from memory, included aplay -l and another sudo .....but I did not gain the expected results, which was a list of hardware, instead I got a page of stuff that I had no idea what I was looking at! At that point I knew I was way outa my depth and have given up from there.
I did previous to this toggle all the various options the settings for sound preferences.:(

ajgreeny
February 12th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Run
alsamixer in terminal and check that the levels are set where you want them.

Move from slider to slider, and raise and lower levels with the cursor keys;
Mute and unmute with the "M" key.
Tab will move you from "playback" to "capture".
Esc will save and exit.

Also install pavucontrol if you don't already have it, run pulseaudio-volume-control and play around with the control options in that.

Pzdarter
February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Hello,
thanks for your interest and suggestions. I now have full sound again and am delighted!!

Regards