PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub Menu Showing Entries From Old Installs

VanceVEP72
February 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Situation: I HAD some Linux distros installed on a 3rd HDD on my system. When I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my new HDD, it created entries in GRUB for those old installs (which have long been wiped off the 3rd HDD). I, for the life of me, can not find a way to get those GRUB entries to disappear.

Here is my setup:

dev/sda1 is my Windows operating system HDD
dev/sdb1 is my Linux operating system HDD
dev/sdc1 is my data HDD

There USE to be Linux installations on dev/sdc1 which were deleted/formatted over when Ubuntu 11.10 was installed on dev/sdb1. Those dev/sdc1 entries continue to plague my systems GRUB menu.

Solution?

Thank you very much in advance!

Firezap
February 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
There is a program called GRUB Customizer that is pretty easy to use. Its not in the software center, but it allows you to edit many settings easily, including removing items from GRUB. To install it, run

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizerSource: http://sammishts.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-install-grub-customizer-in.html

Bucky Ball
February 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
There is a program called GRUB Customizer that is pretty easy to use. Its not in the software center...

Well, it's in Synaptics on 10.10 so see no reason why it should have been removed in more recent releases. Check again. ;)

bogan
February 9th, 2012, 10:45 AM
@Bucky Ball,

In my 11.10 installation, Grub Customizer shows up in both Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager.

But is that not due to Grub Customizer being installed already??

Chao!, bogan.

Firezap
February 10th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Really? It did not show up in synaptic or Ubuntu Software center for me in-till I installed the ppa...Now Im worried...All I get was StartUP-manager...Let me put it this way, If you want to try my suggestion, search the software center first, if its not there, try the ppa.

VanceVEP72
February 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks! Grub Customizer did exactly what I needed.