PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 on windows 7 64bit with VMware

lilbballer27
February 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM
So as the title says I am a big noob at this but I would really like to learn Linux and Ubuntu but I am having trouble from the very beginning or atleast I think so lol. When I try to install Ubuntu with VMware player 7 it only takes me to a black screen and then after it says its doing easy install I am left with a black screen that says type "help" when I do so a list of commands I can type are displayed.

Now I am a noob like stated but is what I'm getting Ubuntu successfully installed or did I do something wrong? Sorry if this is a bad question.

Thank you for the help!

cbanakis
February 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I can't really help because I have never used VMware Player.

Have you tried Virtual Box?
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.8/VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Win.exe

Just using that may solve your problem.

And at least if it does not work, you will probably get much more community support, because virtual box is available for windows, mac, and linux.

So people of every creed can help you. :)

It is also free, and I believe it is among the best.

Gosy
February 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm a noob also, but 2 brains are allways better than one! :)
Are you trying to install the server edition or the desktop ( with graphical gui ) ?

TheFu
February 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM
If you post your VM settings, we may be able to suggest better choices for better supported virtual hardware.
Also, if you are trying to run any VMware/VirtualBox on a system with less than 1.5GB of RAM, you should probably stop and get more RAM.

The amount of information you've provided doesn't help us to determine the root cause for any issues. Tell us about your real PC AND the virtual settings for the VM.
* RAM
* disk (allocated and free)
* CPUs
* networking
* HDD controllers
are a good start.

lilbballer27
February 9th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Um how do I tell if its the graphical one or not? lol I'm sorry I just went to ubuntu.com and clicked download and did the first option. Also I will try virtual box now. I have heard of that before but just had VMware already installed on my PC from doing something else.

TheFu
February 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM
What choices did the commands offer? Usually those are just different display settings to get you into the non-graphical, first part of the install. You need to be brave and try one. The VGA option or 80x25 option should be fine, assuming those or something similar are offered.

Sure, I use virtualbox, but vmware player is just about the same thing, so I wouldn't change ... myself. You'll be presented with the same options there, probably. Inside a VM, you really can't harm anything on your physical PC. Be brave. Make choices.

Rebelli0us
February 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM
So as the title says I am a big noob at this but I would really like to learn Linux and Ubuntu but I am having trouble from the very beginning or atleast I think so lol. When I try to install Ubuntu with VMware player 7 it only takes me to a black screen and then after it says its doing easy install I am left with a black screen that says type "help" when I do so a list of commands I can type are displayed.

Now I am a noob like stated but is what I'm getting Ubuntu successfully installed or did I do something wrong? Sorry if this is a bad question.

Thank you for the help!

If you're a noobie Virtual Box is a lot easier than VMware. Just open Ubuntu Software center and search for "virtualbox" then click "install". Then install Win7 as normal.

cbanakis
February 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
If you're a noobie Virtual Box is a lot easier than VMware. Just open Ubuntu Software center and search for "virtualbox" then click "install". Then install Win7 as normal.

The Ubuntu Software Center is not included with Windows7. :wink:

Which is why I gave a link.
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-75467-Win.exe (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.8/VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Win.exe)