PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install lightdm via live cd?

bikewrecker
February 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hey guys I was having problems logging in earlier this week and was wondering if there was a way to install lightdm via the ubuntu live cd. If I cant then i think i'm going to lose all the stuff on my ubuntu partition.

thank you for the help!

ajgreeny
February 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
A few questions.

Is this 11.10, Oneiric?
Do you have any internet access by cable or wireless?
Why has lightdm disappeared from the system if it was there originally?
Why do you think you will have lost everything on the partition if lightdm is not available? You can easily get your files back, or backed up with a live CD and an external drive, or you can use another display manager.

Let's have a bit more detail of what has happened, and why lightdm is so important to you

bikewrecker
February 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
A few questions.

Is this 11.10, Oneiric?
Do you have any internet access by cable or wireless?
Why has lightdm disappeared from the system if it was there originally?
Why do you think you will have lost everything on the partition if lightdm is not available? You can easily get your files back, or backed up with a live CD and an external drive, or you can use another display manager.

Let's have a bit more detail of what has happened, and why lightdm is so important to you

1: Yes this is 11.10 Oneric
2: Yes I have internet by wifi

After the last update Ubuntu released my Ubuntu partition started acting funny so i restarted it. After the restart it brought me to a login screen. (My computer is set to skip this and go straight to the OS). Every time I tried to login I would get a blank screen for about two seconds then it would return to the login screen again. I've done a lot of research on this issue, and it seems to be quite common. I worked on it for about 12 hours before I decided to remove lightdm to see what happened. (at the time I didnt have a wifi connection so I couldnt reinstall it) After lightdm was removed I was able to login; however, now if I reboot I will get stuck on the ubuntu OS loading screen.

I just found out that I can ctrl-alt-f6 while this is loading and reinstall lightdm w/o using the live cd, so maybe I should mark this thread as solved? After i reinstall lightdm, I reboot and wait till I reach the login screen again. Then I have to ctrl-alt-f6 again to delete lightdm yet again in order to login. It's quite the pain in the butt.

Now when I login I still have the same issues as I did before right after the update that made me restart. I've posted those in a different thread though. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1921950

Thanks for your help!