PDA

View Full Version : iBuntu

Zerocool Djx
February 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
So about a week ago I stumbled upon an iMac G3 (B&W) and I thought to myself. Ubuntu would work great on this! Well, problem.. most Apples back at that time only loaded apple roms from CD.. And Since in my opinion Ubuntu is a far more superior operating system, incredibly flexible, user friendly, and has high respect for everyone in the computer world, I chose to have ubuntu installed on the machine :)

Anyone ever try this? And, How can this be done?

wolfen69
February 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Try the debian powerpc iso.

ph4nt0m117
February 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Imac's of G3 and back weren't originally built for anything outside of IOS. Wonder what the OS was labeled.... cheetah? XD they seem to like cats over there.

If you want an Imac with linux try g5 and higher X3

Zerocool Djx
February 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Can I load that from USB or do I got to get a CD? I know Apple has roms for these older machines.

Zerocool Djx
February 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I got it working! I'll be posting more shortly about it....

Zerocool Djx
February 8th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Spoke too soon... :(

It turns off during launch of the installer. I am going to try the text version I found..

I don't think the 8mb of video ram is capable of much in this thing.. I am also trying the luBuntu option.

Bölvağur
February 8th, 2012, 11:51 PM
good luck

Onyros
February 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Debian is your safest bet. I have an iMac G3 (Indigo with 2 firewire ports), 400MHz PowerPC with 256MB, running Debian Squeeze, no problem whatsoever right now. I use DWM, but also have LXDE installed.

It *is* slow, but somewhat usable. I tried Arch PPC port, but it didn't go very well - Arch is my main distro for a few years now.

I will be trying FreeBSD next, heard their PPC port is pretty good and it might be the best for the kind of hardware I have there.

Lucradia
February 9th, 2012, 01:26 AM
So about a week ago I stumbled upon an iMac G3 (B&W) and I thought to myself. Ubuntu would work great on this! Well, problem.. most Apples back at that time only loaded apple roms from CD.. And Since in my opinion Ubuntu is a far more superior operating system, incredibly flexible, user friendly, and has high respect for everyone in the computer world, I chose to have ubuntu installed on the machine :)

Anyone ever try this? And, How can this be done?

Apple doesn't support PowerPC anymore by the way. Hope you have a good local computer repair shop to repair it if it breaks down. :P

Zerocool Djx
February 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Well,.. I got it working, but this thing so so slow it's useless... So!!!!

NEW CONTEST!!

What is the best way to dispose of this pile of junk?

I vote dropping it off a cliff and filming the crash spot with a high speed camera!

koleoptero
February 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Don't throw it away, it's not that bad, you just have to use the proper tools for it. Try a debian netinstall with something minimal like openbox on it.

cwklinuxguy
February 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Couldn't you just throw Mac OS 9 on there and use it as web terminal? :P

keithpeter
February 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Does the sound work?

If so, install Music On Console, load the hard drive up with mp3s and use it as a jukebox.

MoC is command line, no need even for X.